question about replacing axle

I am replacing the axle on my 94 Dodge Spirit, I got everything off and ready to take out the shaft, but when I took off the bolt and nut on the control arm I couldnt get the spindle to come off, I've tried tie rod end separator and I've tried a prybar. Is there a way to get it loose? And also were is a good spot to pry from?

Reply to
Adam F.

If you are refering to the bolt joint from the knuckle loosen all the sway bar bolts and then pry it down. This will unload the lower control arm

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

yes, this is what I am talking about, I didnt know to loosen the bolts on the sway bar, I have done this before on an 93 caravan, I just put the pry bar in that little hole in the frame and pryed down, this time it didnt work like that.

Reply to
Dick York

Any prying point will do, AS LONG AS you do no damage to any of the suspension/steering/braking components...

I?ve done 1000?s of axles, and I?ve come to realize that the best tool is a great big steel bar (available at home-improvement stores for about $15)

The above mentioned bar is 5? long, and has enough weight to take some of the load off of you... and it can hold down a lower control arm on it?s own, without help.

Loosening BOTH ends of the swaybar will help, as will having a LARGE (lump) hammer... bang the spindle where the ball-joint enters, or bang on the lower control arm where the ball-joint sits.

The reason for this is that the ball-joint is not coated with any kind of lubricant when installed, so it is subject to corrosion and becomes an "interference fit" after time.

With a big enough hammer and prybar, that sucker will just POP! (causing no permanent damage)

Pickle forks, Pintle forks, tie rod separators, and ball-joint separators all destroy the grease seal that must be kept intact. Use only when you intend to replace the ENTIRE joint.

PS: be sure a short brake line is not causing you trouble...

Reply to
Negative