Re: Problem With Power Outlet

>Also, how do I connect the wire to the fuse? Place it in the fuse socket,

>>and then put the fuse in the socket as well, or some other way? > > Just poke the probe of the meter into the end of the fuse - in MOST > ATO fuses, the "post" of the fuse is accessible.

I'm a bit confused here (what else is new?...). The fuse has two prongs that go into the outlet in the fuse box, and then it has a plastic cover over it (by which you handle it). There is no exposed metal once the fuse is in the fuse box.

>> Then you can go from the fuse to the center of the feed-through plug >>> on the inverter. >> >>I guess I would definitely need a wire for that. > > Yes, and as I said, the size of wire is not critical as there is no > load on it.

Except for the load with the inverter plugged in with the computer running, correct?

Thanks!

Neil

Reply to
Neil

A lot of fuses hace an opening in the plastic ocer the prongs. If yours don't, the easiest mught be to eo=ither find one that does, or chip the corners of a spare to expose the prong ends.

No load on the wire to the voltmeter. The voltmeter only draws, at most, milliamps of current.

***
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Turns out they do have openings in the plastic and a tiny portion of each prong is exposed. Never noticed it before. Haven't followed these steps yet, as I haven't had a chance to go to the store and pick up some wire. But will do so shortly.

In the meantime, and interesting thing happened tonight. You may recall early on that I mentioned that the headlights have on occasion blinked intermittently. You said that that meant there was a 90% chance that there was a bad ground in the system (which our subsequent tests seem to confirm).

Tonight, as it's been a bit colder here lately, I had the heater blower on full as I began to pull out. When I put my foot on the brake, the headlights blinked several times (and then were fine). Then, as I was driving with the heater blower on full, the headlights did another quick blink (foot on gas). When I parked the car, I found that putting my foot on the brake caused the headlights to blink one time (but usually only right after the headlights were turned on).

So there's some interesting information. It seems to me, given these data, that the problem is more general than just the circuitry to the outlets.

Anyway, I'll do the tests you sent shortly. If you think of anything else to test in light of the above, please let me know.

Thanks for your help!

Neil

Reply to
Neil