Re: Problem With Power Outlet

My inverter stays on for a few seconds after turning the truck off if it is

>plugged into the power outlet that doesn't get power when the key is off. I >don't know if it turns on with the key on acc as I now have it plugged into >a 'always on' outlet when I use it. > >FMB

umm... Bob... the power outlet that turns off with the ignition is called a lighter, not a power outlet.. *g*

I have 2 inverters, a plug in one for when we rent cars and a real one, that's in the ram and hard wired..

Both work well in our trucks but the real one has a 40 amp fuse, so plugging it into a power outlet with a 20 amp fuse seems a little strange...

Both inverters will "beep" when you turn the ignition on or off, but I've had the laptop running from the hardwired one for up to an hour and still had plenty of cranking power.. The plug in one turns off within 15 minutes.. my guess is that because it doesn't have an on/off switch like the other one, it's more sensitive to power drop??

Mac

mac davis

Crap, Mac, this thread sure turned into a zoo. I call them all power outlets cause that is how I use them. I have 3; two on the dash (one is switched by the key) and one in the center seat back storage area. That is where I keep my inverter that runs various chargers. On our trip last year, it kept 2 video cameras and 2 puters charged up and running. Now you made me RTFM. I now know the mechanical differences in the two types of recepticals; the cigar lighter has clips near the bottom to hold the lighter, the power outlets do not. (more than I needed to know, but I'm bored today. Waiting for U-Joints)

What did you get for a hardwired one? Where did you mount it and do you have outlets seperate from the inverter?

I dunno, my inverter will stay on inside the center seat back 24/7 for days (and has when I forget about it).

FMB

Reply to
FMB

I haven't had a problem with the plug-in one that I'm using until now (when I bought the Caravan last week). Used it on the Jimmy I had before it, and used a different one with the Cavalier I had before that. Never had a problem with it running for a long time.

Neil

Reply to
Neil

Damn! that's research... I thought the only difference (besides the labels on them) was being switched or unswitched!

I got the Audiovox 400 watt one.. cheapest one I could find at the time (about 2 years ago) that had good reviews... It was about $70 and at the time was less expensive than buying a new battery for my laptop.. *g*

I have a 99 ram with the famous POS fold down cup holders and no real console storage except the arm rest... I built a box that sits on the floor between the middle "seat" and the cupholder.. jammed against the dash to keep the cupholder from rattling.. It's got cup holders, CB and Invertor mounted in it and an ash tray with snubbers on top..

I only use the 2 outlets on the invertor, but have run an extension cord to the back seat to keep the grand critters busy with their games..

The hard wiring worked well because I put a fused junction box inside the box and wired the CB, invertor and 2 power outlets on the sides of the box off of it..

The Mickey Mouse approach works for me!! (Nan wants a box built for the Dakota now)

Mac

mac davis

Well, I'm definitely not a tech, but I have to wonder if the Cheby has larger gauge wires to the power outlet...

Mac

mac davis