Why does my caravan only go to linp mode if overdrive is enabled.

!994 caravan 3.3L 4 speed automatic 182,000 miles
IT has been jumping to limp mode very frequently the last couple weeks. I discovered today that if I turn off the overdrive, the problem does not happen.
Does anyone have any ideas about what this info might tell me about the problem?
I have changed the pan screen/fluid, checked the speed sensors tightened the battery cables and added an extra ground strap to the chassis.

Is the van throwing any codes? If so what/when?