'economy mode'?

My 02 406 Exec has just flashed up 'Economy mode active' on the display. I was worried this was the same as 'safe mode' but the car is behaving normally and the message has not rturned on subsequent journeys.

Any ideas anyone, regards Phil.

Reply to
Philip Western

It means that you have left a door open for more than the allotted time and the interior lights have been switched off to save the battery. It will revert to normal as soon as you next start the engine.

Reply to
Brian

Regards Phil

Reply to
Philip Western

This also happens if you leave the radio on (with or wothout the keys in the ignition)...I think the cut of time is 30 mins...maybe a bit less. The only way to remove this is to start the engine and turn it off again. Dan.

Philip Western wrote:

Reply to
tricky4000

What a stupid idea. IS there any way to permanently disable it? starting then stopping the engine uses much more power than running the radio.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hodges

I would assume he meant turn the ignition off and on to reset,, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy.

I don't think you actually need to start the car , just switch it to the first turn of the key (aux setting) . But I could be wrong, which if I am, then it is a stupid idea.

Gary

Reply to
Gary G Jones

It is even MORE stupid than that!!

If you break down (in my case the engine wouldn't start) & need to be towed, it makes sense to have your ignition on so that you can use your indicators. Additionally, as in my case, you may also need the window open.

I was left with this cutting out on me before I got all the way home (hence no indicators) &, when I arrived home, I couldn't get the windows closed!

John

Reply to
JohnJBurness

I suppose it is a trade off between that and the possibility of leaving an interior light on all night and being unable to start in the morning. Quite a possibility if the battery is no longer at its best.

Reply to
Brian

I'll accept that viewpoint, but what I don't understand is why it is not easier to reset it!! How about simply resetting it by turning on/off the ignition??

Reply to
JohnJBurness

This is confirmation. I tried it last night on my 2003 307 and no you must start the engine to remove the Economy Mode display. The same thing with a Citreon C4. Dan.

JohnJBurness wrote:

Reply to
tricky4000

Snip...

I can only think that the logic is you will put some charge in the battery by starting the engine, rather than just resetting it and then using it for another half hour.

Reply to
Brian