01 Dakota 3.9-Still problems with idle and start

Hi all, I am still having some strange problems with my 3.9 01 Dakota. I will say take a half hour trip to the store,it runs great,go in for 30 min,come back out start it up and begin to drive out of the parking lot and it seems like the idle goes high and low,back and forth,like its revving high and then dropping down,at times in reverse it will stall out.

Another thing i notice is durign the same situation above,when i go back and try to start,i will turn the key and crank for say 4-5 seconds and it wont start,stop for a second then hit the key again and it fires right up.

I had an oldsmobile that sort of did this and the problem was a mass airflow sensor.

Anyone have any ideas what my problem might be? I just changed all the wires and plugs,air filter and pcv valve,thinking these would fix the problem but they didnt Thanks Rob

Reply to
RH

Is the only fuel pump in these vehicles the one in the fuel tank? Also,could a MAP sensor be bad yet not give a trouble code? All my symptoms point to these 2 things.

Reply to
RH

You might want to check the fitting of the rotating part of the hall effect sensor inside your distributor (if equipped) my '93 3.9 had exactly the same symptoms and it was just a pin securing the rotating part of the sensor that had failed.

10 minutes of work and almost no cost to replace... Not the commonest of problems but cheap to fix if that's it...
Reply to
proteusdiver