'01 Ram 2500 CTD Starter Problem

I was having problems with my starter (click but no start) occasionally and read on a website that the contact problem can also cause the starter to be stuck running and something about keeping the fuel pump running. I had the problem a couple times of the starter staying on, but after putting the ignition key back to ON and running the engine again, it would let go after a couple more tries. I was about to install a contact kit, but this morning the starter got stuck bigtime and wouldn't let go. I didn't have any tools so I made a run for home (about 10 minutes) with the starter running. Just after I get there I hear the starter let go and the truck will then shut off. Outside the truck there's the electrical smell and I'm thinking the starter is fried. I was correct and the starter even catches on fire. Ran for a fire extinguisher, but the fire went out on it's own. Having an electrical contact failure potentially cause a fire that could destroy your vehicle, garage, house, etc makes me think that the design of the system is freaking insane. Needing a toolbox with you to shut off the engine? WTF? I would have thought something like this would be on a safety recall or something. I would like to at least vent about their engineering. Anyway, does anyone know of a contact number at Chrysler for complaints?.

Thanks, Bill (going back to my garage to make sure it's not on fire)

Reply to
bill allemann

Did you try pulling any relays in the PDC? Would that work?

Reply to
Nosey

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know what relay to pull or where it is. What's the PDC?

Bill

Reply to
bill allemann

Unfortunately, no. The starter relay only engages the solenoid, which makes the contacts which bring the big amps to the starter. Once the contacts more or less weld themselves together, or the solenoid sticks, the only thing you can do is either whack the starter with a big hammer (if the solenoid is just stuck, this will work - if the contacts are fused, this won't to much of anything), or disconnect the negative battery cables.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Power Distribution Center. It's the large fuze and relay panel located under the hood just aft of the driver's side battery.

Reply to
Nosey

Would pulling the fuel system relay at least shut the truck off? Or would it be best to let it run while pulling the battery cables?

Reply to
Nosey

Turning the key off would shut off the engine. It's not a run-away engine, but a run-away starter.

I'd say it's better to leave the engine running while dealing with the batteries, because at least that way, there's less strain on the starter, meaning less amp draw (as compared to asking it to crank over the engine all on it's own).

Of course, that presents it's own set of problems, because we know that it's a bad idea to remove the batteries from an engine's electrical system while it's operating, because the batteries tend to smooth out any voltage spikes generated from the alternator, which could otherwise damage electrical components.

It's a bad scene no matter how you look at it.... best to replace the contacts before they get this bad :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I didn't have too much warning on this, only a few occurrences of problems that were scattered pretty much timewise. It was odd that with the ignition off, the starter seemed to be turning the engine over much faster than normal. Any theory on that? Bill

Reply to
bill allemann

less to squeeze no fuel no fire, compression fired engine shuts down by shutting fuel off.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

That makes sense, without fuel I suppose the starter isn't seeing the extra torque of the fuel's vapor pressure and the beginnings of combustion in the cylinders.

bill

Reply to
bill allemann

What's the diff, negative or positive? Why do you have to disconnect one instead of the other?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Safety reasons, Chris. If you drop the neg connector onto metal, it is neg to neg, not a big deal. If you drop the pos onto that metal, it is pos to neg. Might not be a big a deal when you have one battery, but when you have two as in the CTD, it puts on an impressive show.

FMB (North Mexico)

Reply to
FMB

Thanks. Didn't think of that. I'm used to single battery vehicles. Excellent education moment.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon