'06 Ram Heater Question

My heater is one of those where the butterfly door has died. Now cold comes in all the time. I was quoted $225 to fix the door, but to either make it stay open or closed. Can I just stuff some insulation in the opening doing essentially what they are going to do - shut off the outside air access, and save the $$$?

Anyone?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Steve, is it your "Blend" door that is broken? The Blend door directs more air or less air through the heater core to heat up the air before going into the cab. Or, is it the "Recirculation" door? The Recirc door allows the blower to pull air into the system from either the cab (thus recirculating) or from the outside (fresh).

If it is the Recirc door, it usually breaks off and falls onto the fan intake preventing the intake from taking in most of the air. The fan spins at all speeds, but not much air comes out the vents. If that happened, take the 3 screws out that hold the fan in (down by the passenger's feet) and reach in and take the door out. Put the fan back in. I've been without a Recirc door for a few years now with no issues.

Reply to
FMB

Up North

A good while back, I took out the glove compartment, and IIRC, removed some screws giving me access to the inside. A door was flapping in there, broken off at one end. It was about 3 x 5 inches. The problem now is that cold air comes in at all times, and makes if uncomfortable for the passenger. I looked up there the other night, with very little time nor light, and could not see how I accessed it before. I will try it again with more light. Will try taking the three fan screws out as you say.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B