'06 Ram w/Diesel -- Doesn't 'hold' heat

Hello Everyone,

I drive an '06 Ram 2500 with Cummins Diesel motor.

It doesn't seem to 'hold' heat very well. I can have the truck all warmed up, right at the centerpoint of the temp gauge.

Then I'll park it and shut it off. In about an hour I'll come back to start it up and the temperature gauge reads stone cold and I'll need to warm it up completely again.

My truck seems to cool down rather quickly. I think the thermostat is OK.

Someone told me this is because Diesel motors run on the principle of using as little fuel as possible, thus a Diesel just doesn't run as hot as a gasoline motor.

Any comments? Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

The Rocket Man

Reply to
Hober Mallow

One thing that might make a difference in the answer you get from the oil burning guru's is where you live. You outside temp/weather is going to make a difference.

Reply to
azwiley1

Mine does the same, completely normal. Just think huge radiator = huge heat exchanger

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

punkin:

Wow, there's a thought. Can you explain?

Reply to
Beryl

actually sheryl, our ng nanny, is just pissed off because someone actually had a thought. she misses having a thought....an idea....but she holds out the hope that one day she may actually have one.

Reply to
theguy

Yes, put your lips back around Snoballs where they belong and all will the well in the world.

Reply to
azwiley1

A narrow, stretched out inline engine has more surface area that a compact, chunky V-type.

Now... combine that with a.a.d.t resident thermodynamacist punkin's intriguing hypothesis. LOL!

Reply to
Beryl

What does that have to do with anything the OP asked?

BTW, I recently installed qLogic iCLi on 4 servers. This allowed me to upgrade the firmware of the individual iSCSI storage array members in a 3 member storage array group - to which the 4 servers have a total of 10 volumes attached - without shutting down any of the servers during the storage array firmware update process.

What's that have to do with anything? About as much as your answer to Hober Mallow does.

Reply to
Ed H.

Well dude, what it has to do with is the simple fact that more surface area of the inline block means that the engine can and will cool down faster, especially when no longer running . Perhaps you might want to actually read and think about what was written before jumping in out of anger and simply making a fool out of yourself.

Reply to
TBone

Intriguing hypothesis huh? So you are tell me that if the out side temp is say 90 that the block is going to cool down at the same rate as if the outside temp is say

40? Bullshit.
Reply to
azwiley1

Nice of you you moderate again Tom, thanks.

Reply to
azwiley1

Do you think that it might have to do with the liquid that might disapate the heat quicker? Regards the size, a 360v is probably about the same in surface area but not as heavy as the I-6

Reply to
Roy

Please explain to me exactly how the liquid within the block is going to do much of anything when the engine is not running and it is not moving? A V-8 would not have as much surface area as an I-6 or to put it much more accurately, not as much surface area in relation to total area.

Reply to
TBone

LOL, please explain to me how my post is in any way different than the one Ed posted or the one you just did for that matter. Grow up dude.

Reply to
TBone

Doesn't liquid moving or motionless wick heat from metal?

I really don't know if that is correct or not. But, there are a heck of a lot more parts to hold heat in a V360 than in a I-6

Reply to
Roy

Actually yours is more like your best friend sheryl's post. A post for nothing more then to stir shit.

Ed was meerly point out something based off what he saw. Funny how you are taking to jump on my posts, or those like Ed did, but you say nothing when the troll c*ck sucker purposely stirs shit.

Reply to
azwiley1

Oh yeah, if growing up would mean that I would end up anything like you, screw that I would rather be like Budd.

Reply to
azwiley1

Given the way you addressed me, that's kind of funny. However, no where did the OP ask about it compared any engine configuration, other than gasoline. He doesn't mention V-8 or I-6, except that we know he has an I-6.

Furthermore, I'm not sure about Beryl's assumption that an I-6 has more surface area than a V-8. After all, a V-8 has two cylinder heads sticking out in the air, which implies more surface area because there are 2 more sides to account for. And usually a V-8 has more displacement that an I-6. It's far to general a statement. One can compare specific engines, for instance the Cummins 5.9L and the Magnum 5.9L

I don't know what the surface area of a Cummins 5.9 is compared to a Magnum

5.9, but the Cummins has a bore of 4.02" and a stroke of 4.72" where as the Magnum has a bore of 4" and a stroke of 3.58" which means that the surface area of the cylinder which the piston travels past is actually larger on the Magnum by about 2 square inches. Of course the actual surface area of the cylinder walls in both engines is larger and that's no way to measure the outside surface area of the engine, but it's interesting to note. Does anyone here know the surface area of the Cummins engine, and/or a the Magnum 5.9?

Also, the surface area is only one part of the equation. How about thermal mass? I don't know the weight of the Cummins engine, or the Magnum, but I understand those Cummins are pretty heavy. That implies more thermal mass, which will hold the temperature longer.

Finally, I can't speak from experience about the Cummins cool down time, but my Duramax 6.6L V-8 diesel cools down at about the same rate as the OP's. I don't know the surface area, weight, or thermal mass of that engine either, but anecdotally, it doesn't support Beryl's claim.

Reply to
Ed H.

The difference is that you jumped in with hate and apparently not reading the original question, while I pointed out that he wasn't answering the question, nor did I call Beryl names or make assumptions as to why he posted his response, unlike your response to me, which you kind of admit was filled with anger. Perhaps more than one person around here needs to grow up.

Reply to
Ed H.

Go to the head of the class, Wiley! The temperature differential (delta t in engineer speak) is critical in the rate of heat loss.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons