'06 Ram w/Diesel -- Doesn't 'hold' heat

Edith:

Your issues go beyond linquistic mistakes, you moron.

Now that you've explained what you were talking about, no, this isn't interesting to note.

Combustion chamber surface area has nothing to do with however much cylinder sleeve extends below. Including the cylinder heads would have made some sense. But you didn't, of course, so I have to tell you.

Reply to
Beryl

Hmmm... I wasn't limiting to old mopars. In a lot of cases his knowledge based on his hands on was a help on any year.

If you look at it from the side of the general bad

The above wasn't a attck? Oh, it was just a spin.lol

Reply to
Roy

! How then could the load be determined,

That kinda sounds like the difference between an over-paid Detroit enginneer and a mechanic with common sense..........

Denny

Reply to
Denny

I guess that I can see why you would call this an attack, after all, it was posted by me. But if you took the time to actually look at the thread, you would have seen that the above is simply a statement of fact and my current personal opinion of him based on his actions.

Reply to
TBone

You could have ended it right here.

Or here.

Spare me the "I'm picked on deal"

I read pretty well even with one eye You can spin it or couch what ya wrote any way you want to satisfy your statement but it was a attack imo.

When I tell you that sheryl is nothing but a troll, a pos and a friggin loser is that a attack? Sure it is. It is posted on a open forum for all to read, not in a email to you that nobody sees

Reply to
Roy

everything within its own context tom. larry reacts to sheryl a bit more than he should but then sheryl has a certain "fascination" with larry. now larry came to this ng to talk. sheryl came to this ng to cause problems. their "actions" certainly bear that out, so if you want to form an opnion based on impartial observations, keep that in mind. now that tom, would be a statement of fact. what you made was a statement of opnion based on your perceptions of their actions, which was far from impartial. that is not a big surprise, impartiality comes with maturity, and i understand that you are still working on that. another thing that comes with maturity is responsibility. in this case that would mean simply taking responsibility for your own actions. you also have a long way to go in that area tom. you spin everything you say. you attacked larry, but you aren't even big enough to acknowledge that.........you run away and try to pretend that you didn't. i have asked you this before but how old are you? now that is not an attack, as i have told you before i am genuinely curious because i strongly suspect that you are still in your teens. that isn't a bad thing, everyone deserves a chance to grow up, it would just help to expalin your behavior. anyway, think about it.

Reply to
theguy

Hello Everyone,

I maybe poked a stick into a hornets nest with my original question of 'losing heat', but here's what happened to my '06 Ram with Cummins Diesel (6-speed manual transmission) yesterday....

I live on a owner-maintained gravel road and went to get some 'inch-and- a-quarter-minus' crushed rock to fill in some potholes. I purchased about 3/4 ton of crushed rock.

By the time I got home with the crushed rock (total trip of about 18 miles) my temperature gauge registered right in the middle at, what, 200 degrees.

I had my shovel with me, so I commenced to fill in the potholes as I returned home down my gravel road. The technique is to stop, fill in a couple of potholes, move down the road, fill in a couple more potholes, etc., etc. At each stop, I kept the Cummins Diesel running, and used the parking brake.

By the time I finished and returned to my house, the temperature gauge had actually DROPPED and was registering about two thirds of the way from stone cold to half-way.

Man, talk about losing heat from the Diesel motor !!!

Any comments? Thanks.

The Rocket Man

Reply to
Hober Mallow

Nope you didn't poke anything. This is just they this grroup functions at times.

That is a very efficent cooling system that you have. If not being worked it will cool rapidly

Reply to
Roy

What you describe is completely normal for a Diesel engine. IIRC, they idle at about 80:1 air fuel ratio. Not much fuel consumed at idle so very little heat generated at idle.

Reply to
BigIronRam

Nah - you didn't do anything. We just have a few volatile individuals here, who love nothing more than to show the world their finely-honed debate skills, coupled with their mastery of the English language. Pay no attention...

Well, you haven't told us what part of the country you're in, but regardless, an idling Cummins won't generate enough heat to overcome the efficiency of the radiator. I've seen my EGT's (exhaust gas temperature) drop to almost 200°F during extended periods of idling (caution: don't do this - it's not good for the engine). When you consider that the cooling system can maintain a water temperature of 195°F even when the engine's cranking out EGT's of 900°F, it's no wonder the engine cools off as much as it does when idling.

The problem with this, aside from the fact that the cab heater doesn't work as well, is that with the engine that cold, some of the injected fuel can re-condense on the cylinder walls, washing the oil away, and allowing the rings to score the cylinders. Now, don't get worried - this doesn't happen overnight. However, on vehicles that spend a lot of their time idling away in colder weather, over a period of years, the engines show significantly more wear than if they were worked instead of idled.

A possible solution may be something as simple as a winter cover on your grill. By blocking off some of the airflow to the radiator, you can keep more heat in the engine.

Another option may be the high idle feature... with a little electrical work, you can get this feature enabled on your truck so that you can turn up the idle speed via the cruise control. Details on this can be found here:

Yet another option could be an exhaust brake. When the exhaust brake is engaged, it creates a restriction in the exhaust, making the engine work harder to maintain it's programmed idle speed. This additional load is enough to keep the engine temps up (and, as a bonus, lets the engine warm up quicker from a cold start. Faster warm-up = cab heat available sooner).

Of course, if this behavior isn't bothering you, and you're not extended-idling your truck more than occasionally, you don't have to do anything about it.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Please explain this statement. I can kind of follow your other stuff about this, that, and time, but I really don't understand the above. I suspect it's some kind on insult, however.

Nothing wrong with that.

Got the urine sample, no drugs of any kind found, but...you're pregnant.

Reply to
Ed H.

And what if the weight problem your engineer needed to solve was 1000 miles away? Going to fly him out there?

Reply to
Beryl

thedumbguy:

Propaganda. TBag is one of a very few impartial regulars here.

You, Larry, Roy, Tom Lawrence, Edith, aarcuda, heatwave, etc., etc... members of the clique. Punks.

For facts about the role I'm playing, we need to go back to "hole in the bed" from March 19.

Beryl

Used the taste test, huh?

Reply to
Beryl

Edith:

No insult there, forget about it.

So then,

(0,50) (100,50) ----------------------- | | | A | | | | B | | | ----------------------- (0,0) (100,0)

Table measures 50 x 100 Book A is 14 lbs. at (20,35) Book B is 27 lbs. at (60,20)

Do it.

Reply to
Beryl

Answer: Book B is 13 lbs. heavier than book A.

Reply to
Ed H.

Edith:

No. The distance between the books is 42.7 feet.

It's a big table.

Reply to
Beryl

You must be an enginneer with this thinking.... How about telephones...pictures....internet....

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Hey Mike.... Looks like you and me got left out again. This is getting kinda regular....

Denny

Reply to
Denny

It is good that you have found a friend.

Wow!! It really must suck to be ignored.

8 months ago?? Get current will ya.

Roy