'08 Dakota 4.7

Anybody have one? Impressions and/or comments?

Reply to
Joe

I have a 2002 4.7. So far 96,000 + miles it has been reliable and can still smoke the tires.

It still has the idle problem I filed a Lemon Law suit about. I plan to get that fixed when the power train warranty expires.

I had to replace a starter too. It's a German piece of electronic junk like all German electrical products are.

JAM

Reply to
Bill Dukenfield

Reply to
rdtaxted

Yep that is it. Sometime after is warms up, when you stop and light or stop sign, the idle drops below 500rpm. Sometimes if you are shifting gears to park it will stall.

The dealer put a datalogger on it. It showed that the computer was calling for the low idle. They said it was not a problem and refused to fix it. That's when I filed the Lemon Law suit.

TSBs were issued for the problem up to 2001 but not for the 2002.

JAM

Reply to
Bill Dukenfield

As hard on fuel as a fullsize. My brother needed the fifth wheel in my chev 5.3 ext cab z71 for a week with my trailer, and he rented me a truck, it was 2mpg harder than my chev.

Nice and peppy though :) Little small inside after getting used to the fullsize.

Reply to
Picasso

Picasso wrote in news:477a3af2$0$19874 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.aliant.net:

Is this an '08 you're talking about? I'm interested in the '08, as the HP is now up to 302.

Reply to
Joe

Yes it was an 08 he gave me, quad cab, 4x4, 4.7L But don't take my opinions as the gospel. I had it for about 9 days, and put about 4 tanks of fuel through it traveling around for christmas. I'm not a big man, 220lbs, 5'11, but i just found the room in the chev better, and the fuel mileage better. My chev has a plow on it as well.

I'm a ford man at heart, bought a chev pickup for myself, a honda for the wife, and my brother rented me a dodge...

Reply to
Picasso

Joe, Yes, I do. It doesn't use diesel. My 3500 dually gets better mileage. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Wow. So what are we talking, 14/15?

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in news:flea84$l7e$00$1 @news.t-online.com:

Reply to
Joe

Picasso wrote in news:477a8de1$0$19876$ snipped-for-privacy@news.aliant.net:

My 360 Dak gets around 14 overall, so I'd expect the 4.7 to get at least

  1. ;)
Reply to
Joe

All my tanks ranged from 15-15.5mpg on the dakota i had. It had

18,000kms on it, lot of highway in that travelling for xmas.

I get a faithful 17mpg from my chev -- likely with more city than i did with the dakota, only improves slightly with more highway anyway...

Reply to
Picasso

I get 18 to 22 in my 2wd LWB Dakota.

JAM

Reply to
Bill Dukenfield

Reply to
Abby.Normal
17 to 20 mpg and that's with a full Banks kit almost 500 HP. The best mileage occurs on rural roads, not on the freeways. The truck is about as aerodynamic as an outhouse. Steve
Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Got details on the Banks kit? Sounds interesting.

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in news:flgk2s$964$01$ snipped-for-privacy@news.t-online.com:

Reply to
Joe

I bet you do.

Reply to
Picasso

Suddenly, without warning, Joe exclaimed (1/2/2008 12:16 PM):

My 2001 4.7l 4x4 SLT Dak currently gets about 13.5 city, 17-18 highway. But when it was new, it got closer to 19mpg average, both city and hwy-ish miles.

I love my Dak though, wouldn't trade it for twice the mileage.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Joe, There are more possibilities than Banks as well. I am running the the Six Gun and Speed Loader with the High Ram intake, Turbo waste gate actuator and Banks 4" exhaust system including the 4" straight through stainless glass pack muffler. There are simillar offerings from others that do similar deeds. Basically you advance the timing of the injection events, modify the common rail fuel pressure and modify the air flow into and exhaust gasses from the engine. These changes can be made without causing loss of mileage because diesel engines do not use air controls and therefore do not run under vacuum conditions. If fact, the timing changes can actually increase miles per gallon. Of course when your foot is in it, you can expect to burn the fuel. However the message is that this extra reserve power comes at no sacrifice in efficiency. After driving a high perforfance diesel, I will never drive another gas powered vehicle. The drivability with such low engine speed torque and the smoothness offered from idle to top speed are characteristics simply not available with gasoline engines which run under vacuum conditions unless WOT. I can talk about this forever, but before you commit yourself, drive a Cummins powered truck and see for yourself. Then see if you can find an unhappy owner of one! Steve

"Joe" wrote in message news:Xns9A19936BAA04Bnospamforme@216.77.188.18...

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Reply to
Abby.Normal

How many miles were on the 2008 Dakota your brother rented for u to us ???

Rog

Reply to
rdtaxted