1980 360ci 727 torquefligt won`t shift

i just bought a 1980 dodge 1-ton van (as is). got it running and drove it home on the freeway but couldn't go over 40mph. when i got off the freeway i couldn't hear the transmission shift, so i am assuming it is stuck in 1st or 2nd gear.. Some time ago i read if the kick-down-linkage is not adjusted correctly a 727 will not up shift. or it can shift so fast that you can`t hear or feel it shift at all. Also if left in this condition it will cause major damage to the transmission..

Question,,, Is ths true?? if so, What is the proper way to adjust the kick-down on a 727 torquefligt??

PS. it has a Carter 4-barrel carburator if that makes any difference

Reply to
john doe

John

Three things come to my mind. Fuel pump, fuel filter, clean the carburetor and adjust the throttle/transmission linkage to the transmission. Chenge the transmission oil and the filter also.

To adjust the linkage disengage the transmission linkage from the throttle/carburetor linkage. (Choke pull off disengaged). There will be a fulcrum point where the carburetor/throttle linkage interacts with the transmission throttle linkage. Near the left rear of the manifold. And a 5/16" hole to align the two. Be sure the tansmission is full forward I think it is. This closes the throttle valve in the transmission. A 5/16" pin should easily slide through. Activate the linkage several times to make sure this alignment is OK.

The carburetor on these carburetors will gum up at the choke valve. Get some spray on carburetor cleaner to clean up.

The fuel pump is the usual B. A down below approach is frequently the easiest. Make sure you have all the wrenches you need. Some pilot bolts to hold the gasket are handy. 5/16 comes to my mind. Maybe the fuel filter is a cause also.

Reply to
Bob AZ

Thanks bob :: ) Funny you should mention the Fuel Pump, The guy i bought it from had just replaced the Fuel Pump with a old USED pump he had laying around, but how could this effect the transmission?? . are you suggesting i check and clean the fuel system to make sure everything is running smoothly? or are you hinting that fuel pressure can have a effect on my transmission? my carburetor does have an electric choke and a few tangled and tattered wires leading to the crab. i know very little about 727s and Carter carburetors and even less about the old Lean-burn-Systems they had back in the day... it is a 1980 1-Ton i don`t know if it has Lean-burn .. . i was hoping a quick linkage adjustment would do the trick

Reply to
john doe

John

A bad fuel pump could limit the supply of fuel. And the tranmission does take engine power to work. And the transmission speed does need appropriate engine speed to make the car go as fast as you would like it to.

A 1 ton probably does not have lean burn as MPG is/was not a big thing for 1 ton owners.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ