1999 Dodge RAM 1500 would not start

About 55,000 miles. 5.9 liter engine.

I have started having problems recently. Sometimes, it would crank, but would not start. Then, sometimes, if I "reboot" it by disconnecting battery for a minute, then it starts. Also, recently I put it in reverse, then in forward again, and the engine stalled.

This morning I could not start it altogether, although I had relatively little time.

I own a code reader and a repair manual and would like to try to figure it out myself.

What would be a sensible problem solving approach here?

Ignoramus21174

Move out of the truck and get a house, or at least a mobile home. Better yet stop crossposting to alt.HOME.repair

Reply to
Jimmy

Yo Dude Why yo posting this on alt.home.repair? Do yo live in that piece of shit Dodge? The next time yo post to this newsgroup I will send the gang to yo house or truck and yo mouth will be filled with all the gasoline in yo truck, and then yo will be shot and burned along with yo dodge.

Reply to
homeboy2306

Step one - have the battery load-tested, or swap with a known-good battery. Alternatively, hold a DVM on the battery while attempting to start. If he voltage drops much below 11.5V (ie. into the 10's), you need a new battery.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

The battery is one month old and cranks very well. I could load test it, etc, but I pretty much know the likely result.

Ignoramus21174

Okay - that's just the first usual suspect. Next is the fuel supply. Do you have, or can borrow, a fuel pressure gauge? Check the pressure in the rail before cranking (test port should be in the middle of the driver's side fuel rail). It should be at least 20psi or so with the ignition off. Have someone turn the ignition switch on, and see if the pressure jumps up to

45psi or so immediately.

If you have no pressure at first, you could have a leak in the fuel pump module, or a leaking injector. If there's some pressure there, but it's slow to come up, or doesn't come up to 45psi (or better), then you've got a weak fuel pump (or a partially clogged fuel line - more likely a pump issue).

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I have some pressure gauge that goes up to 30 psi.

Excellent point. Here are some facts that contradict the hypothesis about bad fuel pump.

"Rebooting" the truck (by disconnecting battery for a minute) seems to usually solve the problem.

I will check coolant availability tomorrow. Maybe I am running out of coolant. It is too late right now.

Ignoramus21174

Coolant??

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Hmmmm.... y'all were on a roll 'til he mentioned coolant... he lost me there too Tom.

;^)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

I mean antifreeze. :)

There was no antifreeze in the excess antifreeze tank(?), although there was plenty in the radiator. I added water and antifreeze today. We'll see how it goes. I doubt that this is "it", but we'll see.

Ignoramus2977

Yeah - we got that part. I think Mike and I are both a little confused as to what this would have to do with a no-start/hard-start condition.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I see. My hypothesis is that the engine senses lack of antifreeze and refuses to start if it remembers that it did not have enough antifreeze. A reboot would correct that. Just a wild guess.

I will try to pay close attention to my truck. Soon, maybe tonight or tomorrow, I will attempt reading codes with code reader.

Another bit of information is that lately, a parking brake light is on, even though the parking brake is disengaged, and also, the ABS light is on.

Ignoramus2977

That is not just a parking light, it is a warning light and will light any time there is a problem with the brakes. In your case, the problem appears to be in the anti-lock system.

Reply to
TBone

Thanks. I will try to change my drum brakes this weekend.

Ignoramus1723

Are you proud of yourself? This went on pretty long.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence