2001 Dakota 3.9 running slightly rough??? Help!

I'm not up on working on cars much but i just got a 01 Dakota with the 3.9. It takes usually 2 turns of the key to start,runs just slightly rough liker i can feel a slight shake when stopped at a light,like the old distributor engines used to give when a little out of time. I was backing it up moving my boat yesterday and it idled a little low and stalled.

To me I would think the fuel injectors are clogged or the plugs need changed.Would either of these things help what I described above? Its got

55k miles on it.Thanks!
Reply to
RH

Sounds more to me like a dirty fuel or air filter. Broken vacuum lines generally will turn on your "check engine" light. It never hurts to change the plugs. While you're at it; run the truck in the dark and look for arcing from the plug wires and make sure they're on tight. You might want to check for carbon build up or a crack in the distributor cap. Good luck Joe

Reply to
Gunner

I dont think the 3.9 has a distributor does it? I looked and all the wires seem to go to individual ignition coils. The fuel filter might be a good idea though,i will take a look at it. I am thinking fuel related.

Reply to
RH

No it don't have one. We have a pickup that is placed on the right side just behind the head on the bellhousing. This is your pickup for crank position for firing the plugs. Myself I had to change mine a year ago on my 2001 dakota. Stumbled, misfiring down the highway, scare the sh*t out me..lol, They do fail.. but I got a code for the pickup problem. You have no statement of any codes is this correct. you should see if you can do a reading of the fuel rail for proper pressure. Like you said could be filter or pump. Or a long shot it could be the throttle body.. The air-bypass bleeder on it could be sticking or dirty, That controls the idle circuit.

SCOTT

Mound Road Engine (gone but not forgotten) Detroit MI.

Reply to
Scott S.