'93 Dakota, trouble codes 12,55 sitting for 8months

I have a 1993 Dakota LE that, 8 months ago, the tensioner for the belt broke off and I just got around to replacing it today. It has been sitting there for 8 months with out being started. After replacing it tensioner, belt and the air filter (a family of mice had made a home around the outside the filter) I tried to start it up and it wouldn't do anything. Most of the lights were pretty dim so I pulled my wife's car up next to it and tried to give it a jump. The lights were much brighter and it looked like the battery had a good charge. This time when I turned the key it could heard a clicking from the engine. Any ideas what that could be? Did I just not give it enough time to fully boost or could it be something more dire?

When the old tensioner broke off it went down with some force and knocked the lower radiator hose off, I have replaced that as well. The Ignition Coil is right behind the tensioner, I'm wondering if it's possible it may have gotten damaged at the same time.

What is the Trouble Code 12? I have heard it is "Battery feed to ECM" I have also heard that it is basically the "Begin error codes" like the 55 code is "end error codes" which is correct?

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone may be able to offer.

-Matt

Reply to
Matt

Follow the link and all shall be revealed.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

======== ========

Code 12 is a "battery disconect" code. define both words, add definitions, get answer.

As for the symptom....... I would suggest using a fully charged battery with clean connections before doing anything else.

~:~ MarshMonster ~wonders if you know that the ole AutoZonedOut store charges dead batteries before they test them.....ahem~

Reply to
Marsh grassman Monster

Not just a fully charges battery, but one with fully operational cells.

Reply to
GeekBoy

Yep... not enough juice to engage the starter.

Yep. It could also be that the battery's toast, and won't take a charge anymore.

We remember you trying to destroy your engine by driving it with no coolant...

A bad ignition system makes the engine go "rrrrRRRRrrr rrrRRRRrrr rrrRRRRrrr", really fast. A bad/weak battery makes it go "click click click".

Amazingly enough.... bad battery. Technically, it means the PCM saw a loss of power within the last 50 key cycles. Probably happened sometime between parking it and first trying to start it. If the voltage drops below about

10V, the PCM goes a little haywire.

Treat your truck to a new battery, make sure it's got coolant back in it, and hope you didn't warp the head by overheating it. Run it with the radiator cap removed, because you're going to have a nice big air pocket in there. Once the engine comes up to temp, and the thermostat opens, the air should purge out. Expect some coolant to come out of the top of the radiator - have a bucket there to catch it. Once it runs for several minutes at operating temp., shut it down, top off the radiator, put the cap on, and fill the overflow tank to it's indicated level for 'HOT'.

Again - cross your fingers that the engine doesn't overheat, doesn't blow white smoke out the tailpipe, or the oil doesn't turn a milky-brown color (all signs of a failed head gasket).

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

So I need to take the radiator cap off fill it with 50/50 coolant/water first? You said to have a bucket ready to catch the coolant, how exactly do I do that since it will be coming out the top of the radiator?

Thanks again, Matt

Reply to
Matt

It is called gravity. The fluid will run down the side of the radiator so keep the bucket under the radiator below the opening.

Reply to
TBone

Ah, ok. So we're talking an "overflowing beer", not a "volcanic eruption" here.. gotcha

Reply to
Matt

Pretty much, It may spit a little but you can stop that by either putting a rag over the opening or leave the cap on loose so the fluid can run past it.

Reply to
TBone

Just an update, I did what you guys told me to do (along with a little help from my father) and she's back up and running like she was 8+ months ago. Doesn't seem to be any white smoke or anything. Now I just need to wash and wax it and change the oil.

Thanks again for all of the advice!!

-Matt

Reply to
Matt

Good. Keep an eye on the level of coolant in the overflow. For the next couple of weeks, make a habit to check it each morning before you start it up, and make sure the level isn't dropping.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence