94 Dakota Sprort, horrible mpg

Hi, I got a 94 pickup with the v6, auto......

I am getting like 13-16mpg, is there any cure? It runs smooth, idles nice, no smoke......

Thanks

Reply to
ToyotaRocks

Nope, that's about what it does.

Reply to
TBone

I've got a 98' Dakota with the 3.9L V-6, auto and I usually get around

16MPG. My Ram 1500 has a 5.2L and gets around 14-15MPG.

ToyotaRocks wrote:

Reply to
Scott

My '94 2WD DAK 3.9 AT CC gets about 15 city and 20 hi-way (if I hold the speed under 68MPH) loaded for fishing and towing a very small/lite boat. That's with about 350lbs of gear in the truck and the boat and trailer combo weight maybe

475lbs. It'll go bad in a hurry if I go any faster, 60MPH is ideal, as it'll do a little over 20MPG at that speed.
Reply to
Diamond Dave

mine is 2wd , and I am wondering how to push some more out of it................

I have no complaint about power, but its empty most of the time, and there is no reason for a 6cyl to get this bad mpg..

Diam> >ToyotaRocks wrote:

Reply to
ToyotaRocks

Hah..that little six-banger is nothing but a 318 with 2 cylinders lobbed off..Kinda explains the poor mileage. Maybe a K & N filter and some synthetic oil would help..seemed to help my old tired 318 gain 1-2 mpg on the highway.

Reply to
Big Goof

Believe it or not...try some Zmax treatment. I know it seems trivial but it increased my mileage by 10% in my 2500 QC.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

My truck is 5.2 liter, v8, auto, with 312 cid 1996 ram with 70k miles on it and it drives 15 miles per gallon and I can't argue with that. I feel my truck is great on gas. It takes about 280 to 310 miles on full tank.

Reply to
angelobruno
312?

Larry Behold Beware Believe

Reply to
Larry Crites

Yes 312 cid. Believe it or not. I just replaced whole spark plugs, distribution cap, rotor, and wirings all bosch, bosch 4 split spark plugs. And distribution coil. It works really great. Dude probably beat the crap out of his dakota besides its a sport performance truck of his so it eats gas unlike mine.

I bought a great truck for cheap. It just needed new tranny and new

4x4, shocks, tune up I spend 5 grand on new parts and done it myself.

Got truck for 4 grand with 48k miles. Its now 70k miles. No problem since I fixed it.

Go go dodge ram fans

Larry Crites wrote:

Reply to
angelobruno

Hmmmm..57 Ford!

Reply to
Roy

I believe you may want to look again. I don't recall Chrysler Corp ever having a 312 v8. but a 5.2L 318 is in existence and widely used in the trucks.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Lol my big mistake ur right 5.2l 318 cid. Man what's wrong with me. I'm human I do make mistake :)

Reply to
angelobruno

Just shows what he really knows.

Larry Behold Beware Believe

Reply to
Larry Crites

Makes me appreciate my 1978 3.9L V6 Dakota, 2wd and 5 speed. Even at

275K miles it continues to get 22-23 mpg highway. You have 14" or 15" wheels? The door jamb info says mine was build with 14" rims, but on the dealer lot it came outfitted with 15" rims.

ToyotaRocks wrote:

Reply to
Gerald Cooper