96 v6 to v8 swap

hello i have looked all over and found minimul info on this quistion . i was wondering if you guys could help???

im picking up a 5.2 tomarrow out of a dakota 1995 4*4 auto i want to swap a 3.9 to a 5.2 in my 1996 dodge dakota 4*4 5 speed stick

i know i need the computer the 5.2 moter complete with all acc..and the wiring harness. will this trans bolt to the 5.2? will the stock clutch be ok with the 5.2?

what about the oil pans what do i need to know

exaust i can take care of

please help and fast........

Reply to
pjc600

please please please

Reply to
pjc600

I'm almost 41.6% positive that the following information could be correct:

- Bell housings are the same.

- Flywheel: Autozone says they're different.

- Clutch: Autozone says they're different.

- Engine Mounts: Autozone says they're different.

I'd thought that the 3.9L was just a 5.2L with 2 cylinders missing (.65L per cylinder for both). Perhaps the difference in part numbers has to do with balance and/or strength.

- Wiring: I haven't a clue. If they're both port fuel injected then you might get away with splicing in a couple of new injectors if you're lucky. This could be the toughest part of the job. Just don't get discouraged and stick a carb on it. Keep every component off the donor truck.

Since you're dealing with basically the same truck, details like manifolds and oil pans are probably okay. Get as much of the exhaust as you can get and as much of the engine mounts as will unbolt. If one is throttle body and the other is port fuel injection then you'll be swapping fuel lines and fuel tanks.

Don't start a project like this unless you're in it for the fun of the work. If you just want a V8 Dakota then sell yours and buy another.

Also keep in mind that it'll no longer be smog legal since the 1995 engine is older than the 1996 truck (nobody would ever notice where I live, though, but it could always become an issue someday).

-rev

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Don't do this. If you must, use a late model 5.9 and you will need everything from the5.9. This is a big job and expensive if you do not do this yourself. Be prepared to spend no less than $5k and most likely, $10k before you are done. Buy another vehicle and sell yours. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

ok i gues i left out some things first i am a a.s.e. master certifed tech so the work dont bother me.... the clutch part numbers are different because the v8 has a bigger clutch but the v6 clutch will be fine the flywheel is the same for ballance just the v8 has a bigger smoth surface...v8 has a 10 3/8 clutch the v8 has a 11 5/8 i was told on magnum engines that the mounts are the same and they are both multi port injected

ok more info please..........

Reply to
pjc600

this is not my first time doing v8 swaps iv done rangers mustangs astros s10 and a 87 dakota 4 cld to 360 swap that was a pain in the a.. and a jeep 350

Reply to
pjc600

WHY WOULD he want to install a 5.9??? Mechanically should be a piece of cake. The computer ????? & yes the flywheel is different! the crank trigger is driven off the flywheel It can be made smog legal since the dak was offered with the V-8 As they have said get as much as you can off the donor truck

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

He's proposing swapping an engine that is older than the truck. The rules say same year or newer.

In my area, nobody would give it a second look as long as everything appeared normal. I hear that California actually looks at the serial numbers.

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light