97 diesel real wheel seal

I have a 97 2500 4X4 diesel that has a rear wheel seal leaking. Dealer says they have to pull both axels to fix. Is this true, also do you have to pull all the rear brake parts off to pull the axles? Any comment appreciated. Thanks,Pete in Sonora

Reply to
Marx Family

Pulling the axle is easy because yours are full floting. Just remove the 6 bolts or so hold the axle flang to hub (the part sticking through wheel) and the axle is out without even jacking truck up. Removing the hub to get to wheel seal does not require removing brake shoes and hardware but it does require removing drum. Once axle shaft is removed, you use a specail socket to remove large bolts the span the axle stob the axle shaft passes through and they the hub come off. Really it in not a hard job and do not let them tell you that it is and scalp you.Also there is no need to remove other axle if that side requires no work.

SnoMan

Agreed, I changed mine (driver side) the 1st week I owned the truck, and I had never worked on a Dana rear before.

Reply to
krenelka