97 Dodge Dakota 5.9L DLC Test Enable for MIL light?

On the 97 Dakota the manual states that you can still read the T'C's with the MIL light by turning the ignition off, on 3 times. The DLC connector diagram shows terminal 12 as the 'RWAL Diagnostic Enable', but does not indicate if it should be jumped to ground or 12v+. It does not indicate codes by just turning the key - on, off, on, off, on. I know on the GM vehicles you had to insert a jumper to get the MIL to display. The 98 and later Dakotas must use a scan tool. I have ordered a scan tool, but would like to use the MIL light for now to check out what is setting the code. Thanks for any info about this you could provide.

DJ

Reply to
DJ