differential problems in a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 sport

Has anyone had problems with their diff? they are telling me that i need a whole new diff and because it is one piece i need to replace the axles and everything in the rear end. I'm only 19 and a girl and i think they are just trying to get my money, has anyone had problems with thier truck?

Reply to
little__devil46

One piece? one piece what? I'm sure you have the normal 9 1/4 inch rear that's been used for years and was on my truck. There have been problems with this rear. I took my 2003 in for a front and rear differential oil change, and it turned out the rear was about to fail and there was a broken clip in the bottom, and the carrier and almost everything except the axles ended up being replaced under warranty. If you have too many miles on yours, it still might be covered under some hidden warranty. Good luck.

BDK

Reply to
BDK

the corporate 9.25" axle has been a source of some trouble. sometimes depending on labor rate and amount of damage it may be cheaper to replace the entire axle than to repair, but more often than not a rebuild can be had cheaper than the entire axle assembly. the axle shafts should rarely be damaged unless the vehicle has been extremely overloaded or wrecked. (I've seen 1 case of bent axles and that was a coworkers truck that was spun through a intersection and over a curb)

Reply to
Chris Thompson

First off everything has it's share of problems. The 9.25 rear has been in dodges fir year. One thing that I have seen is the clip that holds the clutches in the sure track assemble come off and ruin the ring and pinion bearing etc. i don't think there are any TSB for rear diff concerns. what year is you truck. Most dodges have at least 5 year 100,000 km (I'm canadian) power train coverage

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@l12g2000cwl.googlegroups.com...> Has anyone had problems with their diff? they are telling me that i

Reply to
ed.barfitt

LOL that's what I thought -- "Huh?? one piece?!"

Reply to
Marcus