'00 sunfire check engine light????

'00 sunfire check engine light came on today:( tried to check the obdII codes with the scan tool..........no luck. won't read anything. checked the data link connector and there is a ground present but no 12v power. what gives. where i work our dlc's have to have a 12v+ and a ground source to function. shouldn't this have to have the same thing? tia for any info on how to solve this lil prob.

Reply to
sunfire28

Not sure about the 12v and ground, but I had a similar problem with my 2000 sunfire. The check engine light came on solid (this means it detected a misfire). I changed the spark plugs, but this didn't fix the problem. It turned out to be bad spark plug wires. They were arcing all over the place. You might want to replace the coils (there are two on this car) as well if that doesn't fix it. Hope this helps.

Reply to
Kevin Johnson

thought that a solid light was an actual emmissions prob and a vblinking light was an emissions prob?

Reply to
sunfire28

sunfire28 said

Solid light means an OBDII malfunction which may yield an emissions violation. A flashing lamp is usually indicative of an engine misfire which is likely to damage the converter.

A prime example is an EST failure, under which the engine is heaving raw fuel into the converter. This will yield high cat temps and eventually create moon rocks.

Reply to
none

There should be power and ground in the DLC. Most OBDII scan tools require that to operate.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

what pin(s) should be power and what pin(s) should be ground?

Reply to
sunfire28

ttt? ttt?

Reply to
sunfire28

See if this:

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

can someone please help me?

Reply to
sunfire28

Well since no one with a 00 is responding, I'll try. I have a 97, with 2.2 engine, so am referring to that. First steps when MIL is on. Turn ignition off. Install scan tool Turn ignition on Scan tool should display NO Does tool require external power supply? Assuming no, and internal batteries if required are good. Ensure scan tool is correct and compliant for car application. Assuming yes. Suggestion - try scan tool on another vehicle to verify operation. Assuming yes. Check Data link connector (DLC) for pushed back pins and other signs of damage. To verify power and ground at DLC: Power to DLC comes via fuse for cigarette lighter - ensure good fuse. Also ensure ignition fuse #1 is good. (should be if car runs) Power is Orange wire from fuse block cigarette position to DLC pin 16 with ignition on (car not running) Ground should be on DLC pin 4 and/or 5. Pin 4 continuous ground, pin 5 ground via/shared with PCM. Pin 4 is black wire. Pin 5 is black/white wire.

If you are correct about lost power - that should help you fix it - provided

2000 is the same as 1997.

FYI looking at the 2.4 diagram shows it is the same as above.

Reply to
Mike

thanks sooooooooooooo much mike. fixed my prob. fuse for cig lighter was blowed. :)

Reply to
sunfire28