98 Ram - No Spark

Stuck in the 'wilderness' with a 98 Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L that won't start. Had a check engine light prior to problem, but was unable to get it checked. Light went off on it's own, then a couple days later the truck wouldn't start (after sitting overnight). No noticeable symptoms prior to that. Have no spark at the coil output. Checked all fuses in both boxes, all OK. Was able to get a new coil and installed that, still no spark. Am thinking probably the crank position sensor or distributor pickup. I have 1 shot at getting parts shipped to my location, but it's going to take 2 days for stuff to get here. Don't have access to a Dodge mechanic or code scanner to verify problem (have access to a GM mechanic, but he's never worked on a Dodge before). Fuel delivery appears to be functional.

Do I go ahead and order both the crank sensor and the distributor pickup (cost $200)? I'm guessing yes, as a just in case. And, where exactly is the crank position sensor located on this truck? The GM mech says they are usually on the front of the crank for GM's, but I'm not seeing anything in that area. The online parts stores list separate sensors for auto and manual tranny versions, so I'm going to guess it may be located on the bell housing somewhere? Are there any other potential causes that I'm missing and should be looking at?

TIA, Scott

Reply to
aleckson

The crank position sensor is located on the back of the engine toward the top of the bell housing on the passenger side. About all you will see of it are it's wires going down toward the bell housing if you look from underneath and you will see nothing from above thanks to Dodge's ingenious body design putting the engine to far back to do anything with ease so plan on getting under the truck to change it. At least you don't have to jack it up since it already sits high enough to get under it. It plugs into the harness behind the distributor which is another easy component to get to but if you intend to remove it to change the cam position sensor (distributor pickup) .... Be aware that the computer could also be your problem and you could be flushing that 200 bucks down the toilet with blind parts swapping. I believe that the crank position sensor goes for about 65 bucks and I don't know what the cam position sensor goes for. Your best bet would be to get the truck to someone with the proper diagnostic equipment or you might be spending a lot of money for nothing.

Reply to
TBone

FYI- I had crank and cam sensors flown out. Replaced the crank sensor first, so of course that wasn't it. Replaced the cam sensor next and it fired right up. Note about the crank sensor, you can't get to it from the bottom without removing the exhaust system. I was able to access it quite easily from the top as it sits just behind the right valve cover. Total cost including "trial and error" parts that weren't needed- $229. The actual faulty part was $68. I'm now convinced that I need to purchase a simple code scanner and keep it in the glove box next to the digital multimeter to deal with issues like this. Lessons learned.

-Scott

Reply to
Scott