99 Ram Front Brakes

I Know, I am no Mech. I need a little help as to what to do to replace the front brakes on my 99 Ram 4x4. (and please dont suggest a shop) Thanks!!!!

Reply to
officer

Next best thing would be a decent service manual. Check your local library.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

After you raise the wheel, secure it with a jackstand, and remove the wheel/tire, remove the caliper by backing off the two 3/8" allen-head slide bolts. Pull these all the way out. Lift the caliper off the rotor, and if necessary, remove the rotor and have it turned or replaced. Pop the outer pad out of the caliper (big screwdriver is helpful here). Put a big C-clamp on the center of the inner pad and the back of the caliper. Attach a piece of tubing to the bleeder screw, and run it into a suitable container (soda bottle works well). Open the bleeder screw, and tighten the clamp to compress the piston back into the cylinder. Once the pad bottoms out, close the bleeder screw, remove the tubing and C-clamp, then take the old inner pad out.

Install the new pads in the caliper. Lightly grease the flat spots on the steering knuckle where the caliper will slide on, as well as the slide bolts, with high-temp brake grease (included with some pads, otherwise get it from the parts place). Make SURE this is grease designed for brake use, and not regular multi-purpose or wheel-bearing grease.

Slide the new caliper with pads back into place, and re-install the slide bolts. Spray the rotor down with some brake cleaner if you got any fingerprints/grease/other contaminants on it, turning it and wiping it down (this is also required if you get a new rotor, to remove the protective coating the factory puts on the rotor - do both sides of the new rotor before installing it).

Repeat this on the other side, then pump the brake pedal until it firms up (seating the pads against the rotors). Finally, top off the brake fluid resevoir with brake fluid (DOT3 or DOT4), and you're done.

And yeah - if you pick up a Haynes repair manual, #30041, it will go over this in more detail, pictures and all, and should make things a little easier.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Go to

You may have to join by entering a user name and password. Click on forums. Scroll down to the FAQ ..... then scroll down some more to the titled article 'replacement of brake pads and rotors'. I hope this will help. There is a lot of good info at this site.

Randy

Reply to
Randy E Schaben

I made a mistake. Go to

Before you click on specific article about brakes. First: Click on Forums. Second: Scroll down to FAQ & How to Forums Third: Scroll down to and click on 'How To Articles' Fourth: Scroll down to article 'Replacement of the Brake Pads and Rotors'

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Randy E Schaben