A bit of Regular mixed with Diesel... Problems?

Well yes. The more gasoline you add to diesel, the more the cetane level drops. And vis a versa

Reply to
Trent

I "guess" we are referring to the same thing although your post didn't make that clear to me when I first read it.. You said diesel "has" cetane while gasoline "has" octane and that they are "products" which implied that they are truly substances within the fuel. They are not, they are ratings.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

vaporized.

easier

vaporized.

No. Diesel is sprayed into a fine mist combined with air to be compressed. CY:

Actually, sprayed into theair after the air is compressed. And it's sprayed in order to make iteasier for fuel to vaporize. Vapors burn, liquids do not. Sorta like wheat or rice in a processing plant. The individual pieces of rice or wheat does not burn very well, but once processing starts and makes a lot of dust combined with air makes a very volatile product. CY: That sounds like a half-right comparison. The atomizing helps the combustion because it provides more surface area to create vapor.

Gasoline is heated into a vapor. CY: Not on any engine I've ever owned. All the gas engines I've owned have used spraying to make a mist, which makes it easier to vaporize the gas.

That is why in the "good ol days" that gasoline engines did not work well when cold. The gasoline was not being vaporiaed very well. CY: While heat helps, the major factor is spraying. You didn't answer my original question. Please explain why "combusted through heat and compression" is the opposite of neeing to be vaporized.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Trent, please explain to me why "combusted through heat and compression" is the opposite of neeing to be vaporized. I've read a web page on diesels, but I still don't get what you meant.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

This topic was discussed at a class conducted by John Holms at Carson Dodge in Carson City, NV. Diesel 101, "The care and feeding of a Dodge Ram Diesel".

A major concern, as I understand it, is the injector pump and lift pump are lubricated by the fuel passing through them. Since gasoline has no lubricating properties, there is a real possibility both of these items could be damaged by running gasoline through them. John's recommendation for correcting this issue was to not start the diesel, or immediately shut it down, and drain the contaminated fuel from the tank. If gas was run through the engine the fuel system should be drained and the filter replaced. I think you should be at your dealer by now.

Mike B

Reply to
Mike B