accident report

Yup, here in MA entering a public way from a private lot or property requires a complete stop. Also if a sidewalk is crossed, a stop before crossing it is also required.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Maybe about time, careless drivers should have to go back to driver training and get retested to have their liscence renewed. dale

Reply to
Dale Yonz

How about making the punishments fit the crime? If you demonstrate you can't drive responsibly, then you don't get to drive legally. Drive illegally, and you go to jail.

And no plea bargans.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Drive illegally and you go to jail? Kinda steep for speeding don't ya think? Hate to be involved in a accident in your world, what would the penalty be? Death, if more than 50% at fault?

Roy

Reply to
Roy

the problem here is that the drivers test is a joke. so retesting would really prove nothing.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

if that happens, i just want some advance notice because im gonna get a contracters license. i wanna build some of the thousands of jails that its gonna take to hold all those speeders, left turn violaters and stop sign runners. i could use the money.

Reply to
theguy

No - he's saying that a driver that can't drive responsibly, they lose their license. The penalty for driving without a license would be jail time. I don't think he's advocating loss of license for a speeding ticket - rather a pattern of infractions that indicates the operator can't be responsible.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Not to mention how much that would cost and how long it would take.

Reply to
TBone

It must not cost too much, or take too long, or Pennsylvania wouldn't be doing it. And yes, the test is a joke, given some of the people I know who have passed it.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Are you saying that PA requires you to retest for every renewal?

Reply to
TBone

You are involved in a accident. Somebody cut's you off and you whack him in the right rear. You are supposed to have your truck under control at all times. You made the contact, you did not drive responsibly, you are in deep shit.

Hell, they don't put repeat drunk drivers in jail. They are driveing drunk without a license.

I know what he is advocating but imho it is unrealistic.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I just gave up my Pennsylvania license for a Georgia one yesterday. I had it for 23 years and haven't taken a test since I first got it. I did all of my renewals through the mail so they issued me "valid without photo" licenses. They even put my out of state addresses on my driver's license and vehicle registrations. The only test that Georgia made me take was an eye test. I was in and out of the DMV with my new license in 15 minutes. It was just too easy.

Reply to
Nosey

when i first got licensed here in GA i was 16. took the full test driving everything. we didnt leave the parking lot. the hardest part of the test WAS the eye test. like i said before. A JOKE!

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

That would be ridiculous, not because of cost or time, but because there is no reason.

They retest after a "point" accumulation, if you fail, or if you acquire more points beyond the limit before a retest, they suspend the license.

Reply to
Max Dodge
  1. Roy Dec 2, 8:30 am show options

Newsgroups: alt.autos.dodge.trucks From: "Roy" - Find messages by this author Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 10:30:34 -0500 Local: Fri, Dec 2 2005 8:30 am Subject: Re: accident report Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse

What's wrong with punishments that fit the crime?

Someone decides to get drunk, knowing full well he's got to drive home afterward. On the way home he hits and kills someone.

What punishment for that, Roy?

I say it's a form of 1st degree murder with a random victim and the state's punishment foir 1st degree murder should apply . . .and yes, I've been a drunk in my past.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Is it unrealistic or just unenforcible due to the liberal lawyers that are allowed to plea bargain murder down to urinating in public?

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Agreed, whole heartedly. Here in Utah, you get the test and the drivers maunual . . it's an open book test and with some of their screwy laws, it almost needs to be.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Do you really think all criminal lawyers are liberals Budd?

Reply to
TBone

I don't know about here in NC but in NJ, that was vehicular manslaughter.

First degree requires intent and most drunk drivers don't get in their vehicles with the intent to kill someone however I'm in agreement with you that the punishment should be severe.

Reply to
TBone

Manslaughter... negligent homicide... vehicular homicide...

1st degree? Where's the premeditation? "I'm gonna down this last shot so I'm good and smashed, and hopefully I find someone I can kill on the way home". Not likely...

Don't misunderstand - I also believe that the punishment should fit the crime. However, in your example, your punishment exceeds the crime.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence