accident report

The law was not meant to be enforceable as in stopping it from happening. Its purpose is to make people accountable for their actions, sadly after the fact.

Reply to
TBone

Not everybody who gets drunk has plans to do so and how can you make the determination that they did, especially if they are close to the legal limit.

Ditto.

So is running a red light so should both people face the same punishment?

More complete crap. It would be great if the world were really so black and white but that simply isn't the case with reality. As for double jeapardy, that is the way it should be.

Then stop blaming the liberals for all of the worlds problems. The conservatives have caused their fair share of them as well although the way you make it sound, they are perfect and thinking that either side is without fault is complete ignorance.

You could try but would probably get hurt. I am not suggesting that you are like that piece of shit but that is exactly what he did and what you seem to be suggesting that we all do.

deliberate,

Really, where?

But you were a heavy drinker at the time (according to you) and a serious drinker does know what they are going to do but an occasional social drinker does not go out with the intention of getting ripped but sometimes it happens.

Perhaps that's true but this time I'm in the majority opinion.

I guess that would help remove the desire.

Sure it does but measurable does not always mean incapacitated or even severly impared. Some people can drink a few beers or have a few shots and feel nothing at all. They may in fact be impared but don't know it and in this case, how can you say murder 1.

Read more slowly Budd, you are discounting the crime of murder 1 by attaching it to accidental deaths.

Reply to
TBone
119. Tom Lawrence Dec 4, 5:26 pm show options

Newsgroups: alt.autos.dodge.trucks From: "Tom Lawrence" - Find messages by this author Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 00:26:31 GMT Local: Sun, Dec 4 2005 5:26 pm Subject: Re: accident report Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse

IOW, not enough states . . yet.

I'd rather not. . .

A worker was doing some work in a company parking lot overnight. He dug a good-sized hole, about 5 feet deep. He failed to mark it off. An employee arrived to work early the next morning, and while walking across the parking lot, fell into the hole. Now, she was injured - but for the sake of argument, let's say she was killed. The worker knew that a hole like that was a danger to others, right? Is he now guilty of 1st degree murder?

No idea, as this is not thescenario I was talking about.

That happened back when I was a bleeding heart liberal.

Is it? With everyone asking my opinion on other situations, I was thinking it was part and parcel of the discussion.

Why? I don't consider all crimes to be the same level of evil. To say I do with the evidence given is pure conjecture at best, defamation at worst.

No, I said anyone that deliberately gets drunk and kills someone should be counted guilty, that includes murder by knife, gun, baseball bat, wet noodle. . . .

No, it doesn't, except in a liberal world.

I'm trying to understand. I'm not trying to bust your balls, Budd...

Sorry, Tom, but that's not how it's coming across.

just discussing it, with an admittedly different viewpoint than yours. Heck - if we all have the same views about everything, it would be pretty boring :)

Agreed, but when you start changing the original topic into something unrelated, then you aren't discussing . . you're ball busting.

I'm not one of them. I find your views on this particular subject a little extreme, perhaps - but that doesn't make you a nut. I suspect there's something more significant that's caused you to view this as you do, but if you're not going to talk about it, I'm not going to ask.

Tom, I will give the reason: too often a drunk gets away vehicular homicide because of his intoxication "impairment". Too often drug dealers get too light of sentences because they plea bargain out of what they deserve. Too many times drive-by shooters are rationalized out of a death sentence because of "psychological problems". The list is endless and the criminals just go to prison and learn how to be better criminals.

It's time to take a stand.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

But a slap on the hand doesn't do the job. Pepole are still driving overly tired and under the influences.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

GA for one. the only way to use a cell in a moving vehicle (for the driver) is to use a hands free device (i dont see much improvment here but that's their rule) or speaker phone.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Almost all states do indirectly. Most states have a law against driving under any impairment or distraction which would include but not be limited to cell phone usage. Unfortunatly its not enforced often.

Reply to
miles

Like I said, that wasn't my intention. I apologize if you took it as such.

I can't really disagree with that. I'm just not sure I'm ready to start executing people for unintentional consequences. Punish? Absolutely. Kill?

Well, we'll disagree on that. Otherwise, we're going to keep going around and around, and before you know it, we'll be arguing about the gravitational effect on noble gases and filtering ability of oil-soaked cotton-gauze filters :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Most of them are not meant to be enforced that way but are then used to increase punishments or to even allow for punishments for some actions just like the sleeping behind the wheel law in NJ.

Reply to
TBone