Advice: Air Pumped Seized 87 Dakota

I think the air pumped just seized today on my dakota (squealing belts, smoke, neighbour looking at me and laughing, wife asking me why I don't buy a new truck -- the works -- the thing ain't spinning). Ok, it's almost 20 years old. I haven't taken the pump off yet. Do they just go? Was there some sort of maintenance I could have done to prevent this? Can I fix/rebuild it or should I just swap it for a re-conditioned unit? Thx. Happy New Year.

Reply to
Alan Smithee

Yes, they sure do, happened to me as well on my '82 waiting in a drive through..

Was there some

No, they're maintenance free.

Can I fix/rebuild it

Just swap it out with a reman, they're cheap.

Thx. Happy New Year.

Reply to
BigIronRam

YEs, they fail just like everything else mechanical. Check with the bone yards.

Reply to
.boB

Reply to
Alan Smithee