Aftermarket Air Cleaners

I own a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab powered by the Hemi. I bought it new and the dealer's parts manager mentioned that installing aftermarket air cleaners on my rig would void the warrenty. They specificly mentioned the K&N line. I was thinking about installing a different air cleaner setup to improve gas mileage. Does anyone know if what the parts manager said is true, will it void my warrenty? And, has anyone installed a different air cleaner setup on their truck and did improve your mileage?

Thank you.

Jim

Reply to
Jimbo

Many aftermarket filters allow too much dirt through them despite their claims. Thats why it could void the engine warranty. However, the burden of proof would be on the auto manufacture to prove that damage was caused by the filter. Possibly with oil tests showing increased silicates from dirt. They can't just void it simply because of the filter.

Reply to
miles

Thank you for the info miles.

Reply to
Jimbo

I disagree. If a K&N is not approved it can void warranty. Many GM owners have found out the hard way when the oil on the K&N fouled MAF sensor and it required replacement and they were charged for it under warranty. It is also well documented that the very slight increase in airflow is achieved with less filtering. Another myth is this MPG thing. A engine is driven by the heat of expanding gas from combustion as this expanding gas drives pistons down to turn crank. This heat comes from the BTU content of the fuel. "X" amount of fuel must be consumed to provide enough energy to power vehicle down the road and no aircleaner will change that as modern engine controls will keep mixture correct so the air cleaner will not change this either. Power gains with a K&N are more a state of mind than reality but John Q. Public wants to beleive in magic add on cures and K&N laughs all the way to the bank.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Up to this point he is 100% correct. It's the oil that ruins the MAF. Keep the stock filter.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Let's be careful with the terms here. Presence of an aftermarket filter will NOT "void" a warranty. That's something done at the corporate level, and means that the manufacturer will no longer provide any warranty support, regardless of the problem. By law, they can not do that simply due to the existance of an aftermarket part. In general, warranties can only be voided for odometer tampering, emissions tampering, or abuse (and is stated as such in your warranty booklet).

What CAN happen is that the dealership will refuse warranty service on a particular claim, because the aftermarket item caused or contributed to the problem. In this case, a fouled MAF sensor would not be covered under warranty, because very likely an over-oiled filter fouled the sensor and caused the problem in the first place. However, that same vehicle would still be eligible for warranty service on anything else that was NOT caused by the aftermarket filter. Of course, now you open yourself up to some debate as to whether or not your aftermarket piece was a factor in any subsequent failure

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I agree with Tom and I do wish that this is a point that everyone would listen too. A properly cleaned and maintained oil wetted fillter will not (should not) cause any issues with the MAF. I have one on my truck, have had it for over a year, I clean it and oil it properly, per the makers instructions and have NEVER had an issue with my MAF or anything else. Add to this that I live in AZ which is ALWAYS dusty.

Now before anyone starts with the "Didn't you just replace your cats" Yes I did, due to miliage 180k on the odometer, that happens with age and miliage and is not related to my use of an oil wetted filter.

Reply to
azwiley1

Warranty can't be voided for installing an aftermarket air filter. If that is the case, no air filter would qualify for replacement except OEM.

And as for damage, Toyota offers the Borla system as a factory option. System includes a borla high flow exhaust and a "borla" badged high flow intake which surprisingly looks exactly like the K & N. I suspect that K & N private labels it for Borla. Think they are going to void my warranty?

I have a K & N on my Dakota, but have not checked the mileage.

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Jim, I would not recommend that you buy it from the dealer simply because of cost and mark up. There are so many companies out there that sell them, cheaper. Try some of the following sites:

As to a specific "brand" from the write ups and reviews I have seen, the Volant systems seems to be one of the best ones out there.

As to an increase in fuel economy, filter alone I could not tell you, but with the CAI and the free flowing exhaust, I have gained some, but I really could not tell you how much.

Reply to
azwiley1

You disagree! I expected you to be the expert:) Read this:

Info - Automatic Transmission Shift, Engine Driveability Concerns or Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On as a Result of the Use of an Excessively/Over-Oiled Aftermarket, Reusable Air Filter #04-07-30-013A - (Jan 25, 2005)

Automatic Transmission Shift, Engine Driveability Concerns or Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On as a Result of the Use of an Excessively/ Over- Oiled Aftermarket, Reusable Air Filter

2005 and Prior GM Cars and Light Duty Trucks 2005 and Prior Saturn Models 2003-2005 HUMMER H2

This bulletin is being revised to add additional model years and to clarify warranty coverage. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-07-30-013 (Section 07 -- Transmission/Transaxle).

DO THIS

First, Inspect the vehicle for a reusable aftermarket excessively over- oiled air filter

DON'T DO THIS

DO NOT repair MAF sensors under warranty if concerns result from the use of an excessively/over-oiled aftermarket, reusable air filter.

The use of an excessively/over-oiled aftermarket, reusable air filter may result in:

. Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On . Transmission shift concerns, slipping and damaged clutch(es) or band(s) . Engine driveability concerns, poor acceleration from a stop, limited engine RPM range

The oil that is used on these air filter elements may be transferred onto the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor causing contamination of the sensor. As a result, the Grams per Second (GPS) signal from the MAF may be low and any or all of the concerns listed above may occur.

When servicing a vehicle with any of these concerns, be sure to check for the presence of an aftermarket reusable, excessively/over- oiled air filter. The MAF, GPS reading should be compared to a like vehicle with an OEM air box and filter under the same driving conditions to verify the concern.

The use of an aftermarket reusable air filter DOES NOT void the vehicle's warranty. If an aftermarket reusable air filter is used, technicians should inspect the MAF sensor element and the air induction hose for contamination of oil prior to making warranty repairs.

Transmission or engine driveability concerns (related to the MAF sensor being contaminated with oil) that are the result of the use of an aftermarket reusable, excessively/over-oiled air filter are not considered to be warrantable repair items.

Reply to
Big Al

Was that towards me, or Sno*?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Again I would like to point out to everyone the phrase that most seem to conveniently over look concerning this issue. It is in Big Al's post multiple times and that is

EXCESSIVELY OVER OILED!!!!!!!!!!!!! A oil wetted filter that is PROPERLY maintained, cleaned and oiled WILL NOT likely result in ANY of the mentioned problems.

Reply to
azwiley1

I think it was pointed at Sno* Tom...

Reply to
azwiley1

"miles" wrote

Wrong! Just try them. (the dealership or the manufacturer)

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

If challanged the burden of proof is on the auto maker to prove that the filter caused the damage. I do agree that it very well could have but the engine warranty is not instantly voided for all claims because of use of a K&N filter. The damage has to be proven to have been caused as a direct result of the filter. That said I would never put a K&N in any auto I own especially since I live where its quite dusty.

Reply to
miles

If more air enters then don't those controls adjust the mixture to match? Are you saying it makes no difference how restrictive or not restrictive an air intake is? Improvements to air intakes can improve performance or mpg but I do agree that a simple drop in filter isn't going to accomplish that.

Reply to
miles

Funny, I ran K&N's on several vehicles over a 25 year period, and not ONCE was anything mentioned about voiding any warranty. One of these, an

88 S10 Blazer was still (The 4.3 engine was anyway) running fine in 2004 when after two thefts and trashings, one sideswipe from a flatbed truck, a wreck, and over 250,000 miles on it, the friend of mine who bought it from me, retired it, and sold it to a scrapyard. The tranny was slipping badly, and the transfer case had died, and you couldn't hardly move it, so it was time. It had cancer so badly it left a pile of rust and scale if it was parked for more than a half hour.

It had the same K&N filter on it until 2000, when it fell apart and was replaced with a paper one from then on..

I never really noticed any real gas milage improvement, it did sound a lot better though, and it ran a little better too.

BDK

Reply to
BDK

Every single person I know who lives in AZ who has tested their oil pre and post K&N has reported higher silicates after switching to the K&N. Thats why I refuse to use them. There are other similar filters that do a better job such as NAPA or WIX. K&N just has the marketing power!

Reply to
miles

I have. Any dealer can refuse work if they so desire. It does not make them right. Take it to arbitration or court. If the filter is not the cause of the problem then the warranty is still valid.

Reply to
miles

Was at Tucson Dodge when a gal brought in her husband's 1500. They scanned it and found an after market chip. Told her no warranty, and quoted some completely outrageous price to repair it. They brought it in for a transmission problem. Think it was a 4.7. All I heard was her talking to her husband on her cell phone so I don't know the complete story. They were not happy.

Al

Reply to
Big Al