Alignment--2000 Ram 1500 4X4

My right front tire pretty suddenly wore out on the outer tred row. The truck was pulling right. I put the never used spare on the right front and the truck wanted to go slightly LEFT. Had the alignment checked and everything supposedly was within specs, except cross camber which was .7 (left +.5/right -.2) with a notice in red that this is an unsafe condition. Camber is not adjustable. Place that checked alignment said pressures were wrong and changed them to 35--but the placard says 41, and the 245/75/16 tires say max 44. Steering felt heavy and definitely pulling left. I ran pressure back up to 41 and it felt normal.

Took it to another place to check alignment and their cross camber was still .7, but shifted more to the negative--left +.4 / right -.3. The rest of the readings were within specs but considerably different than the first place.

I had a near empty gas tank, but 210 pounds of sand in short box bed over rear axle for ice stability. Also noticed left front of vehicle seemed about one inch lower than right, while left rear was only about

1/4 in lower. And, I couldn't understand how - .3 would cause outside tred wear--I thought it would be inside wear.

So my questions are: Is this really unsafe? Where does camber come from--control arms? The front drive mechanism? (There must be a way to change it if necessary) Did sand change the alignment? Why is the left front low?

I have the service manual but it doesn't really say a lot about this. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
halterb

miss alighnment can be very unsafe.

2wd should come from upper control arms

this part im not sure on. sorry

yes a load in the rear of the truck will change your alighnment. that is why the alighnment shop wants the vehicle loaded as it would normally be driven.

your service manual should outline specs and adjustment procedures. do you have a Hanes or a Factory Service Manual?

Reply to
Chris Thompson

wa.googlegroups.com...

d should come from upper control arms

change your alighnment. that is why

and adjustment procedures. do you

Have Factory Service Manual-

Reply to
halterb

Could be the Tracking Bar, check this out

Joseph Myers