Alignment questions

I just finished a 9k+ trip to Alaska and back hauling my 25' Arctic Fox

5th Wheel with my 03 2500 HO 6sp. Went as far North as Coldfoot, Alaska (diesel @ $3/gal). Not one problem with the truck or fuel (other than my upcomming cc bill).

My question is about the alignment of the trailer axles on the Fox. I did have two flats on it. It seems the rear axle has inner tire wear on one tire, and outter wear on the other. Seemed to be a cocked axle to me, so underneath I crawled and measured the distance between the axles at the same point on both sides. The differance between the two measurements is 5/16".

The trailer seems to track straight, the wear on the front axle's tires seem normal (with 20k miles wear). It seems the springs are pinned to the axle mount, so it wouldn't be as simple as loosening the axle from the springs and moving the axle along the spring.

These are Dexter Axles with Double Eye leaf springs. Now, thinking about all the pivot points of the center hanger with the bracket, shackle link and the spring, I guess the axle distance floats depending on load. Is that right? Is there any adjustment on this system?

Next question is on the no-name shocks. One pissed its contents (front left), and with the hundreds of miles of dirt, gravel and poor asphalt roads, I'm suprised its only one. I want to replace them all. I'm looking for reccommendations for trailer shocks.

FMB

Reply to
fmb

"fmb" wrote: > I just finished a 9k+ trip to Alaska and back hauling my 25' > Arctic Fox > 5th Wheel with my 03 2500 HO 6sp. Went as far North as > Coldfoot, Alaska > (diesel @ $3/gal). Not one problem with the truck or fuel > (other than > my upcomming cc bill). > > My question is about the alignment of the trailer axles on the > Fox. I > did have two flats on it. It seems the rear axle has inner > tire wear > on one tire, and outter wear on the other. Seemed to be a > cocked axle > to me, so underneath I crawled and measured the distance > between the > axles at the same point on both sides. The differance between > the two > measurements is 5/16". > > The trailer seems to track straight, the wear on the front > axle's tires > seem normal (with 20k miles wear). It seems the springs are > pinned to > the axle mount, so it wouldn't be as simple as loosening the > axle from > the springs and moving the axle along the spring. > > These are Dexter Axles with Double Eye leaf springs. Now, > thinking > about all the pivot points of the center hanger with the > bracket, > shackle link and the spring, I guess the axle distance floats > depending > on load. Is that right? Is there any adjustment on this > system? > > Next question is on the no-name shocks. One pissed its > contents (front > left), and with the hundreds of miles of dirt, gravel and poor > asphalt > roads, I'm suprised its only one. I want to replace them all. > I'm > looking for reccommendations for trailer shocks. > > FMB

It kinda sound like the trialer is too heavy for the axles under it and the axle is flexing and bowing out some. As a rule of thump I like to see axles that are a good bit bigger than needed som even at max weight you are below the limit of the axles by 10 to 20%. THis may seem like overkill to some but it can save you headaches when you load it heavy sometimes.

Reply to
SnoMan

I'm not an expert (or I wouldn't have been asking here) but I would think if it were overweight both tires would have been worn out on the inside (or blown), not one on the inner and one on the outter.

Still looking for ideas, I'll be working on it again this weekend. (shocks, bearings, tires and check the brakes)

Got to finish the trailer to get it ready for another trip, but I also have to work on one of my house circuits that lost a neutral somewhere. I miss my own darn computer in the office.

FMB

Reply to
fmb