ANOTHER problem with Ram driveline?

ok, I guess the Ram is going back to the dealer again.. (99 QQ 2wd

5.9/auto/3:55, LSD)

The first time in, they changed the U-joints, rebuilt the rear end and changed a valve body in the tranny.... The truck shifted correctly again, the vibration stopped and the grinding noise went away..

6 months and maybe 3,000 miles later, the tranny started a minor version of the same problem.... late or no shift into 3rd...

Back into the shop, they rebuilt the whole tranny..

now, 4 or 5 months and about 4,000 miles later, it's got what is either a new problem or a "hang over" from the old one... wanted a few opinions/guesses before we take it in next week, as you guys have been pretty much right every time and it helps when talking to the dealer... especially since all the above work is covered by the warranty we bought from them..

After driving on the freeway, when you stop at the exit, there is a "slipping" feel and sound when you move from a stand still again... the 1st time it happened, we thought that my wife was just spinning a bit on gravel, as it only seems to last for about a second and then doesn't happen again until the next time you pull off the freeway.. We took 2 trips this month, to Baja and to WA., and it happened at almost every exit that we pulled off on... never seems to do it in traffic or anything, just when coming off the freeway... It seems to feel like the right rear wheel, but it's hard to tell.. Maybe a clutch in the limited slip??

Any input appreciated, as usual.. thanks..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Check your fluid level before you trash another gearbox. I think your fluid level is low and under braking, the remaining oil is running forward away from the pump pick up and the pump is cavitating. This causes the clutch line pressure to drop allowing the clutches to slip.

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

is it starting out in 2nd ?

Reply to
TranSurgeon

the level is topped off, Steve... feels more like the rear end slipping, also..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

It doesn't seem to be, Gary... the feeling isn't like a transmission slip, though it could be... (you da man, there)

It feels more like the rear wheel loosing traction for a really short time, I shouldn't have used "second" in the post, it's much shorter than that.. that's why I was wondering if it could be a clutch or something in the rear end..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

well, having spent a lot of hours diagnosing quite a few 'starts in second due to Mopar's love of the electronic governor pressure system screw-up' problems, I've driven a few that try to start in 2 or even 3, then feel 'like a wheel spinning' as it drops to first with increased throttle pressure

you might want to get a scanner on it and see what it shows as governor pressure 'at rest'

should be '0'

Reply to
TranSurgeon

will do, if I can get the ram away from the wife long enough.. thanks, gary..