Re: medium and high speeds violent shaking 1979 dodge D20 low miles

Try this, next time you do u-joints, use a socket and put the driveshaft in a vice. You take less chance of damaging them when done this way, Take your c-clips out of the groove, fit the socket to the hole the bearing cup fits and use the socket to drive the joint out, Having a press would make this easier but a vice works well. Also, the side you're hammering against would need to be protected, a block of wood will work. Installing the new joint, Get that block of wood, tap the bearing cups lightly, do it wrong and you'll knock the needle bearings loose and have to do it all over. You'll know if it's wrong, the joint will be hard to move by hand.. And yes, a c-clamp will still work if you want to skip some of that, you only have to get the bearing cups in so the clips will go in. By the way, I've turned NAPA u-joints to powder within 3 months and I know I did it right. Replaced with Spicer like I wanted in the first place... NO PROBLEM.

I have a '74 D100 with a 318. I've rebuilt the truck twice now..cab, bed, fenders, Frame and running gear are original though along with the hood. Total mileage on it.. No exact figure but it's up around 300k. Never replaced axle bearings in the rear...absolute joy to drive.

"Kirk A Wolff" wrote in news:FV3wc.12325$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Well that was it, both front tires were falling apart. I replaced > them and it rides like it is supposed to. The rear tires are newer > than the fronts were. I picked up a used pair for $40. I was getting > anywhere from $280 to $330 to replace the front tires. 16.5" rims are > hard to fit. Someone suggested going to 15" rims, I don't like the > idea of that. Maybe if I found a set of 17" rims for a good price I'd > go with them. I think I'm going to buy any future tires from an > online store and have them put on for $15 when I replace all four. > > Now I replaced my U-Joints, and when I stop the truck oscillates as I > slow down. From what I remember reading on the subject, you will > notice a lobeing coming from the back if your U-Joints need replacing. > Since I just replaced them, I think maybe I put them in too tight. > > I used a C-Clamp to put them in and out, I had to push on the bearing > cups pretty hard to get the C-Clips on both bearing cups. Before > putting the driveshaft back in, I played around a little with the > joints and they seemed stiff. Should I back the cups out a little to > make them move more freely?
Reply to
Morgan