Calling Tom (again)

Tom, I got the truck back after the lift pump conversion was complete, bill payed by DC, Very expensive job and a lot of work. I now see 8-9 lbs of pressure at idle and 6-7 under throttle. There was a statement on the conversion paperwork saying that pressure is irrelevant and no aftermarket pressure gauge should be believed and that it is all about flow. Sounds like a pretty stupid comment for them to print. Do you know the story? steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Well, yes and no. While it's true that the test procedure in the service manual for the lift pump is all about measuring fuel flow, and not pressure, pressure is still a valid way to verify the health of the lift pump. The CP3 injection pump isn't nearly as sensitive to fuel pressure as the VP44 was, and will still operate safely at near-zero fuel pressure (so long as there's fuel flow). But, barring any kind of abnormal (and unlikely) restriction, you can safely assume that the CP3 is being fed a constant supply of fuel so long as your FP gauge registers some amount of pressure.

So, to me, an FP gauge is still plenty valid, and much cheaper than a flow gauge.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Tom, I completely agree that's I called it a stupid statement. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi