Changing Oil Dakota

I own a 1999 Dodge Dakota 4x4 with the 5.2 Liter V-8 engine. I have not changed the oil myself yet on this truck and I would like to do it. If I remember correctly when I first bought the truck five years ago I put it up on ramps and checked out how difficult a job it would be to change the filter and oil. If I remember correctly it looked difficult due to the location and accessibility of the oil filter and the fact that there was a protective steel plate installed to protect the oil pan from rocks and so forth. It also appeared that if I placed the truck on ramps the oil would run down from the drain plug on to the protective plate. I think I can possibly remove the oil filter by turning the front wheels as I can see the oil filter on the passenger side. There isn't too much clearance to reach into the wheel well and remove the filter. Any information would be appreciated. I used to change all my own oil and filters for many years and I still do on the Camry we own which is very easy to do. This is my first post on this NG and I hope I am doing it correctly.l

Reply to
Jake

Yes, doing it with the front end on ramps is almost guaranteed to cause a mess. Even with the truck level, you'll probably make a mess. A funnel helps, but not a hole lot. To completely prevent a spill, remove the skid plate.

Get one of these

.boB

Got a 98 Dakota with the 3.9L. The oil filter is in a very hard to get location. When I change the oil filter i have to get in a position where i get one hand on it and can get a good grip to turn it and pray that it turns. Theres no easy way to do it that i know of. When i drain the oil I do it level on the ground and it don't make a to big of a mess, but i don't know exactly how different the 3.9 is form the

5.2L. Good luck! Brian

98 Dakota 3.9L

92 Ram 150 5.2L 93 Ram 350 CTD
Reply to
Diesel Head

Thanks Brian and Bob for the input. I am going to put the Dakota up on the ramps and see if I can remove the skid plate. I do zero off road driving and it shouldn't be a problem. I also will take a look before I remove the skid plate at the location of the drain plug and I will also consider using the Fram drain unit if I can install it without removing the skid plate. I checked and found that the drain plug is 1/2-20 and hopfully I will be able to pick up the Fram adapter unit locally if I decide to use it. I will also check out the location of the oil filter and determine the feasibility of removing it. When all is said and done I just might take the truck down to my service guy to change the oil and install a new filter like I have done in the past.

Reply to
Jake