Advice on used 2500 CTD 4X4

I found a used 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with CTD, 3.73 gears (I think that's what they were, certainly not the 4.10) and 4 speed automatic transmission. I will typically carry 800-1300 lbs and would like any advice or experience from others.

Would I be better off finding one with 4.10 gears? How reliable is the transmission? I would rather have manual, but gotta go with what I can find used. The dealer ran the VIN at the Damilier-Chryler dealer site but couldn't didn't see that it had limited slip rear end. Did they come standard or is this likely an open diff? What else to look for or be wary of?

Thanks.

Reply to
Ed H.

Forgot to ask, I've never owned a diesel before, what is the maintenance costs compared to a gas engine - I know it holds a lot more oil, but how much and what grade?

Reply to
Ed H.

No, you have plenty of power for the load you mention with the 3.73 gearing.

The 48RE is very reliable, and has almost no complaints compared to its predecessor, which was a reliable transmission when the owners followed the weight ratings. The 48RE can handle a lot more abuse than the 47RE, and will do just fine given the laod you mention.

IIRC, The Anti spin differential was not standard, but check with KBB.com or Edmunds sites, both shuld have an answer to that question. If this truck doesn't have the ASD, you're in for some fun given the torque of the Cummins. However, that may be a nice bargaining chip when buying it.

Well, its a used 2005, for me that would be a warning bell to find out why its already up for sale. Could be as simple as the missing ASD, but it could be a "lemon" that was traded in.

The maintenance cost is a bit less than a gasoline engine, but otherwise the truck overall is about the same maintenance cost, IMO. The engine holds 12 quarts, and I use 15w40 in my 2000 Cummins Ram.

Reply to
Max Dodge

maintenance cost long term is less.

you change 1 oil filter & 11 quarts of oil at 7500 fuel filter at 15000 I usually put a new air filter in as I work the truck and it sees dusty field conditions often. the rest is standard stuff, but remember no spark plugs at 30K, no wires, no cap, no rotor.

I've driven everything from a 2.0L 4 cyl p/u to the 8.0L v10 and I'm here to say NOTHING and I mean NOTHING works or pulls like the Cummins.

also 3.73's are what's in my truck and I have not been wanting for a lower gear set.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Usually a tag under one of the bolts near the oil fill plug on the diff. Also an equipment tag door jam/under hood ? will list gear ratio & maybe if it has limited slip

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

Which should be the same list as the one gotten from the Dodge dealer. OP may want to take the VIN to a dealer himself to verify options.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Thanks everyone for your input. I think this is one of the best newsgroups on the net.

Reply to
Ed H.

Thanks everyone for your input. I think this is one of the best newsgroups on the net.

Reply to
Ed H.

I don't know about 2005 but in earlier years the auto tranny was not much good and (at least in the Denver area) manuals are easy to find. I think they have since gone to a better auto, though. No matter, I don't like autos anyway.

Mine is a 2001 and has the camper sway package and I added air bags. It barely notices that my 2,500 lb plus camper is on it.

Awsome truck!

Charles

Ed H. wrote:

Reply to