DANG IT! Engine Light on.

Code 0237? Turbo Boost Sensor A Circuit Low

What to do?

It does seem when the engine is cold the turbo charger does not seem to want to work very well till it is warmed up. Going up steep hill, the engine kinda jerks a little bit. Only for a moment though.

I am sure good ol Tom Lawrence will be able to advise me on this.

Bad sensor? Bad wire? Big $$$ at the stealership?

Oh yeah 2000 CTD Automatic.

Thanks

GB

Reply to
GeekBoy

Voltage from the MAP sensor is too low. It's the three-wire sensor/connector on the top of the intake manifold, towards the back of the engine. First, remove the connector, and check the general condition of the wires, connector, and pins. Clean anything that looks like it would cause a poor connection. If that doesn't do it, turn the ignition on, and check voltage between the orange (+5V) and black/blue (ground). If there's no voltage there, or it's significantly less than 5V (under 4.5V), there's a wiring problem.

Next, make a jumper wire to connect the orange and gray/red wires together (feeding full reference voltage to the signal circuit), then start the engine. Check for codes. If a P0238 is set (means MAP sensor voltage too high), your wiring is good, and you'll need a new MAP sensor. Otherwise, you have a wiring problem.

I'd put a nickel on a bad MAP sensor, myself...

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Thanks for that quick input.

This did it before and after the truck had all day to cool down the code went away.

Now today it did it again.

I looked for the 3 wire MAP sensor. I think you better have a look before I try anything.. There is a 4 wire device at top instead of 3. I will post the pictures in another post incase you have a problem seening.

Thanks again..

GB

Reply to
GeekBoy

Sorry - my mind's stuck in 3rd Gen mode... the MAP is on the side of the intake manifold on the 2nd gens, just behind the fuel filter canister... there are actually two connectors there in close proximity. The MAP is the forward sensor - the rearward sensor is the IAT (and is a two-wire sensor, whereas the MAP is a 3-wire)

Great... can't wait for the net nannies to complain about binaries in the group.

Incidentally, I have no idea what you were taking pictures of... that's gotta be some kind of aftermarket setup - no idea what it's for, but it didn't come that way from the factory.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Oh now I see...hehe.. I got far as reading the voltage. The orange and black/blue wires read 4.37~4.38 volts. Suggestions? Comments? work around for the wiring?

Well let'em. They dont have to download them if the don't want/

I think it is part of the gauges from Banks and the exhaust break and smartlock from DTT.

Thanks for the great help so far! GB

Reply to
GeekBoy

A little low (would probably read higher with the engine running).... but not enough to cause that code on it's own. Do the jumper wire test, and see if the P0238 code pops. If so, I'd pick up a new MAP sensor. Now you know where it is, so changing it should be simple :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Okay..I will check tomorrow..I need to borrow the Autozone machine again to do that.

Autozone does not have them, but Kragen Auto parts does. $95, Ouch. I hope the picture of what they show to be the MAP sensor is not the actual one.

The only part that looks like it is the connector. Thanks for the super help and I will let you know tomorrow.

GB

Reply to
GeekBoy

You've got a 2000, right? That should display codes on the odometer with the key off-on method.

That's a gas-engine MAP sensor. The one you want looks like this:

These guys have it (part number 4921497) for $42 and change:

Tom Lawrence

It's just my opinion, but, when the pics are relevant to the problem, like these are, then the net nannies should go play in the sandbox. Or they can stick to complaining about my Cushman pictures.

To GeekBoy: Thanks for the pictures. I learned from them and have a better understanding of what's under the hood of the newer trucks.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Agreed!! This is a unmoderated group. We have been writing and posting what we want for some time. Although to be polite, ya might want to let folks know that pic's are on the way in the subject line.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

That is what, 4 or 5 times off? Thanks

Well tha seems to be a better price thanks and I will let you knw the results!

Reply to
GeekBoy

Hey no problem. Times are changing. A lot of those "rules" were from the modem using days. Clicking on the wrong message could tie your modem up for a while. I don't know would be using a modem these days except those only on for a few minutes a week. Even satellite has gotten a lot cheaper to use so.

GB

Reply to
GeekBoy

Just to clarify: Usenet is a distributed network. Every time you post anything, it's stored on tens of thousands of servers around the world... and must therefore use many thousands of times the bandwidth of your single post regardless of whether anyone "clicks" on it or not. So, it's not the bandwidth of downloading to individual desktop machines, but the "overhead" bandwidth and storage that ires news admins, especially if they've got the text groups on an 80GB drive, and people start posting DVDs there.

Some servers limit retention time of a group by the the number of MB in a group, so when you post a single binary, you knock off 100 text messages from the backend of those servers.

Some news admins will actually drop a group if it starts becoming abused with too many binaries. By posting binaries, you COULD actually be the cause of someone not getting your favorite group anymore.

Additionally, NNTP is a 7-bit protocol. That means a 100K graphic must be encoded to 7-bit, which means that the data transmitted and stored is really ~140K.

Put graphics on a web server. Then a 100K graphic only takes 101K of bandwidth to download... only the number of times someone actually downloads it.

Just two years ago, I was in a place where there was no cable, no DSL; only dialup... and only 19,200 kbps at that. Yes, the world is changing, but there are still plenty of places where the phone companies and cable companies find too low density to bother with.

Networks are getting faster, true enough. NNTP is still NNTP though, and posting 8-bit data to 7-bit protocols is still inefficient, not to mention, stupid.

Posting binaries to non-binary groups is abuse, no matter how much you try to rationalize it.

Reply to
News Admin

52616e646f6d4956bf44c9dd8ae0a8f9f11eb303329afa3d1cdb6c1d06223e864a0ac77eb0788ef3b75bb2b41167d1a3821b58ece71e362b2aea3eb8509eba20013251b73c2f0b086c82a6c842e45d67607d49d9a334b2ac1e5cf524021d190485ef865c047d78e6853d42b2c6b9f8730dd5a125ed46a73105ef2887f42b42ca X-Abuse-Info: Please be sure to forward ALL headers so that we may process your complaint properly. NNTP-Posting-Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 16:26:02 UTC Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 16:30:43 GMT Xref: titian.nntpserver.com alt.autos.dodge.trucks:259047
Reply to
Budd Cochran

At the prices of storage these days? You can now get 1TB of storage from IDE drives for a few hundred.

That what Google groups are for. They do not accept binaries on their servers and have posts since the begining.

That is where sattelite comes in. The equipment if less than $400 now and service of down to $59 a month.

Reply to
GeekBoy

news01.roc.ny!news-feed01.roc.ny.frontiernet.net!nntp.frontiernet.net!news.glorb.com!newsfeed-east.nntpserver.com!nntpserver.com!statler.nntpserver.com!be5.nntpserver.com!not-for-mail

Your point?

***
Reply to
News Admin

So you missed the point. Why am I not surprised.

How generous of you. Force people who have been using and enjoying usenet for years and years to switch to the piece of shit google interface just so you can indulge yourself by posting binaries to text-only groups... when there are plenty of binary groups you could have posted and linked to, not to mention all the free picture hosting sites out there.

How generous of you to consider walking in another man's shoes, who

a) doesn't run MicroCrap, b) doesn't have $400, c) has no clear view of the southern sky, d) would prefer to get text groups at 19,200kbps than abusive binaries at 256Mbps (or whatever sat. comes in at), e) lives somewhere outside North America, f) pays for his internet connection by the KB rather than by the month, and/or g) uses a text-only newsreader, so only sees binary attachments as uuencoded 7-bit text anyway.

I reiterate my last statement.

Goodbye.

Reply to
News Admin