Service Engine Light - Comes on soon after each gas fill-up

Just started to have an annoying problem with my 2000 maxima (30,000 miles).

I fill the car with gas, drive about 15 miles, and the service engine light comes on and stays on. I reset it by disconnecting the battery for an hour, and it stays off untill my next fill up and then the same thing - drive about 15 miles and the light comes on.

I know that if the gas cap is not tighten properly this can happen, but the cap is secure, and the gasket on it seems OK. I first thought that it was a fluke, as a friend of mine "topped off" the tank when he filled the car the first time this happened. I thought maybe he just got some liquid gas into the canister system. But now its happening everytime I fill up the car - even at different service stations.

Otherwise the car runs fine.

Has anyone seen this problem before?

Reply to
vander

You need to have the codes read. It's probably a bad purge valve.

Reply to
JimV

Assuming you're not in California, just stop by your neighborhood Autozone the next time the light comes on. They'll pull the codes for free and tell you what they believe the problem is. May be as simple as a bad cap.

Reply to
Dan

could be as simple as notn filling up with the highest octane. 93 here o nthe east coast, and I know cali only goes up to 91. Try this if you're not filling up with the highest octane

Reply to
99blackmax

No I haven't had the codes read yet,,as I think the problem would be covered under the emissions warrantee,,and my dealer has been very good about covering things,,even if a bit out of warrantee,,,

I think from my research that your on to something about the purge valve - apparently the ECU does an integrity check of the vapor system using this valve...not clear if its triggered by filling the gas tank, but I bet that's a good guess. Saw one internet post that suggested cleaning the valve out with some WD 40. Since I have actually found the valve, and its easily accessible, I might try this before going back to the dealer. Might just be a bit of crud in the valve body.

Thank you to all that have posted replies,,,,

JimV wrote:

Reply to
vander

Looked at the cap, kind of hard to tell if that's the problem - everything looks OK, and I did clean the whole thing up with carb cleaner. That was my first guess,,,,though strange that the light doesn't come back on again until the tank is refilled, though see my other reply for a possible reason for that.

Thank you for replying

Dan wrote:

Reply to
vander

Yes I considered the fuel quality issue to, as I did fill up at a station that I normally would not use (Union 76). I did put in 91 octane, though I have run the car on reg grade to without any apparent problems.

On the second fill up I went to a different station and also used 91 octane, and had the same problem occur.

"99blackmax" wrote:

Reply to
vander

I am having a similar problem, I own a '02 SE Maxima. I didn't realize until I read your post that my Service Engine Soon (SES) light comes on after I fill my gas tank. The first time SES light came on I took it to local Autozone (thanks to a fellow member in this group) and was able to get the error code (P1456). Then I took it to a Nissan Dealer as the code was referring to emission control problem.

Dealer looked at it and found nothing wrong. He just reset the light and sent me on my way. After my next refill of the tank the SES light showed up again, after few miles of driving. But this time I was on a trip and couldn't take it back to the dealer immediately. Luckily, the light went away after about 200miles of driving. I did not do anything.

But now again after another refill of gas, the light is back on (after few miles of city driving). I am in a fix (and little curious) and am planning on driving around for another 200-250miles and see if the SES light goes away.

I am on the east cost and use Shell V-Power (Octane rating 93).

just sharing my story...hope we can figure our a solution to this problem..

-BI

Reply to
bhai

Well I am convinced that this is a very minor problem, and has nothing to do with fuel quality. I think that perhaps there is a bit of something caught in the check valve, or maybe raw gas got into the charcoal canister, and since its so cool now, it doesnt evaporate out...

I am going to wait for a few more fill ups to take it to the dealer. Also, going to try the ignition ON (not started) press the gas pedal three times to the floor to reset the light trick,,,

I am in Phoenix Arizona - its been East Coast cold here for the past 2 weeks,,,

snipped-for-privacy@vt.edu wrote:

Reply to
vander

Kinda hard to understand how fuel octane alone could cause the computer to detect a problem... unless something else is defective.

For what it's worth, there are a couple of commonly experienced problems with 2k and 2k1 Max's that set a trouble code and turn on the SES lamp... one is bad ignition coils. This shows up either as pinging... even though you are using high octane fuel.. or the computer detects a misfire and sets a trouble code. With the latter, the engine can seem to run OK only reading the code can help you determine the problem. This problem and it's resolution is covered by a tech bulletin, but only the 3/36 warranty covers repair.

There is another issue, also covered by a tech bulletin, that requires loading new firmware for the ECU. I know about this because my 2k1 experienced it. I'm not sure if it is covered by warranty, but my dealer did load the new firmware at no cost to me even though the 3/36 had long expired. It may be covered under the emissions warranty.

And lastly, a bad gas cap will also cause the lamp to come on... tighten it all you want, but if the valve inside it is bad it won't maintain correct pressure and the SES comes on. Any gas station that does annual safety & emissions inspection will be able to test the cap and tell you if it's OK.

BuddyWh

Reply to
BuddyWh

Well an update on this problem,,,,

The light came back on at around 1/2 tank full - I think the computer must run the fuel vent test at full and half tank.

I bought a new gas cap, only 7 bucks at autozone (unvented version). Filled the car up and so far no more light. Probably just a marginal gasket on the old gas cap.

snipped-for-privacy@vt.edu wrote:

Reply to
vander

Reply to