Lexus Is300 Traction Light Flashing + Check Engine Light Is On

Hello!

I recently changed my stock Intake with any aftermarket intake by K&N. Couple of days ago i gat a check engine light came on and my traction light started to flash. I check all the connections on the intake. All are tight and found no loose ends. When i took it to the mechanic he told me that there is a air leak in the system. I am running out of options, if i can't find an solution i guess have to put it back to stock and take it back to the dealer to get them to fix it.

Before i do that, are there any comments or help that can help me solve the problem. Like some kind of spray i can use so i can see where the air leak is coming from. I heard that i can use braking spray to use around the intake and see if there is any change in the RPM of the car is that true?

Thank You

Reply to
reddragon7500

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote in news:99cdb183-72fc-4188-bc1a- snipped-for-privacy@n20g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

traction

On my wifes 2002,RX300 I had the same flashing lights. Go to any auto parts store like autozone where they will read the error codes. Mine was P1135 which required changeing the Air/Fuel ratio sensor on the rear exhaust manifold. Lexus price $217.87 and twenty minutes labor to remove and replace. If you get a different error code go to

list of OBD-II trouble codes.Other choice would be go to Lexus and give them $500.00 and be done with it. Good luck, Brad

Reply to
JagBrad

When you took the car to a mechanic, did he hook up an OBD scan tool to pull the trouble codes? If so, what were the trouble codes?

There are a few faults that can give you a check engine light and flashing traction light both at the same time. The ones that come to mind are a problem with a wheel speed sensor and related circuit; a problem with the throttle linkage; an air leak in the system, a disconnected mass air flow ("MAF") sensor; or a contaminated MAF sensor from over-oiling the K&N air filter. Pulling the trouble codes will point you in the right direction. You can borrow one at some auto parts stores like AutoZone if the mechanic did not list the specific numerical trouble codes. Once you have the trouble codes, post them here and I'll try to narrow down the possible causes for you.

As far a finding a leak in the intake system, spraying carburetor cleaner around the hose can sometimes do the trick. If the leak sucks in the carburetor cleaner, engine RPM will increase slightly. This is not the best approach because the carb cleaner can dissolve rubber and plastic and is very flammable.

While you're checking, make sure that you properly re-connected the MAF sensor and that you did not disturb the throttle cable.

I am not a big fan of aftermarket "high performance" air filters, especially the kind that use a permanent filter that uses oil to trap dirt. In order to increase air flow into the engine, most aftermarket air filters allow very fine particulates to pass through into the engine because the fine particulate dust tends to clog the filter, restricting air flow. Of course, the fine dust will contribute to increased engine wear and more rapid oil contamination, so you need to change the engine oil at or before the automaker's recommended oil change interval. The other problem with the filters that use an oiled element is that some of the components in the oil will evaporate and contaminate the hot wire in the MAF sensor, and as the hot wire becomes coated, it does not sense the air flow properly, making the engine computer think that there is less air flow passing through and make the air/fuel mixture too lean, reducing engine performance.

Reply to
Ray O

Hey Ray,

Yeah after i took it to the mechanic he told me the error codes and explaned the codes. and it said a air leak,i just want to make sure if anyone had any similiar problems

************ The reason I asked for the specific error codes is that AFAIK, there is no error code for "air leak."
Reply to
Ray O