1997 2.3 Ranger - timing belt or chain

Hi - I bought a 1997 Ford Ranger 2.3 liter engine, 5 speed Automatic, standard cab, standard bed pickup, 2 years ago with 97,000 on the odometer.

Right now it has a bit over 138,000 miles on the odometer the truck runs great.

I am trying to find out if this engine has a timing belt or timing chain. If it's a belt, I intend to replace it at the 150,000 mile mark.

Thanks for any input you can offer.

Joe

Reply to
Joe727

Hi,

It has a belt. I think recomended replacement is around 80 or 100 thousand.

Mine went at 145000 and took the crank position sensor with it. Belt and tensioner were about $70, waterpump another $40, the crank position sensor about $170. Installed new thermostat too.

Wait if you want but you are running on borrowed time already. To get the big nut off the front of crank, put a heavy socket on a long breaker bar, lay bar on frame rail, bump starter. I think I figured you lay it on the passenger side rail but determine engine rotation before you do it. No it won't throw the bar through your hood. Nobody was killed when I did this but I admit I didn't have spectators.

Reply to
Scott

i agree, youd better get that belt changed soon or youll be broke down .

ds549