Durango on a carrier

I'm looking to move to Florida this fall and I was maybe looking into renting a small truck (Uhaul, Penske, etc) and a trailer to put my suv on. It's a 2002 Durango STL+. However, none of the carriers offer a trailer that can accomodate an suv of that size. Anyone have any ideas of who might or how I can do it? The reason I ask is because even though I don't have a lot of furniture, it's too much to pack up into the suv itself and drive.

If you don't have a lot of furniture, wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to add a hitch to the Durango and pull a trailer for your furniture with it? Otherwise, if you rent a truck and trailer, you'll be forced into renting one of the moving van style trucks, which use lots of fuel and are charged by the mile. A Class III hitch can be obtained for less than $150 ( check etrailer.com ), installation would be extra, but U-Haul could give you an installed price. The pull type trailers are a lot cheaper to rent than the trucks AND trailer. Another option, since you allude to the fact that the amount of furniture is just slightly more than you can pack inside the SUV, you could also buy a cargo carrier that inserts into a Class III hitch behind the SUV and could be useful for carrying some extra cargo. These can be obtained at WalMart for about $55 and can hold up to 500 pounds using a class III hitch.

John

Reply to
JPH

Use the Durango & tow a trailer. It would be wise to install a trans cooler if you do not have on. DO NOT tow in overdrive

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

I don't want to install a hitch on my Durango. I'd never have a need for it again and I don't like the way it looks.

No hitch, no trailer. I want to put the Durango onto a carrier. I'm trying to save wear and tear (and miles) on my car.

if you really want to haul it. they will fit on a 6x16 equipment trailer. that's what I used to move mine but it was a extremely tight fit. there are car carriers that size or larger (20 foot I believe is the average) available.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

You'll be putting around 1500 miles at the most depending on where you live and where in FL your going. The mileage won't effect anything. You'll be cranking on miles once you get there anyway.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

So install it, use it, and then take it off.

Reply to
Av

I wonder if it'll use steam or a giant rubber band?

Reply to
Scott Hendryx

This is 2006, we use silly putty now.

Reply to