Gas to Diesel changeover....

How do you like the AR-15?

I remember the M-16A1 as being a sweet weapon as long as you knew it's limitations and compensated for them.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

To be truthfull, it's not my favorite rifle to shoot. I like the smell/feel of a oiled wood stock. I use it in my three gun competitions and for that purpose it does very well. Light weight, easy handling, mag swaps are a breeze and no recoil to speak of. It gets the job done.

What I'd really like to use sometime is my Garand. Now that would be fun but I know my time would suck in that stage. Maybe if I could convince Kim that I really needed an M1A...... And pigs fly...

Denny

Reply to
Denny

I agree there's nothing like the feel and smell of a wood stock, but the AR-15 / M/16 series were designed to be tougher than a war, and to be honest, put a lot of lead down range in a hurry but be reasonably accurate in the process.

Still, if I had to choose a easy to handle, light weight home defense weapon that could double for hunting medium sized game, I'd give it a try.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Yeah.. like throwing it at them when it jammed... the bad ol' days of the first version..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

BTDT... M1a/M2 carbine was a fun thing to carry around but had NO stopping power.. It's downright embarrassing to hit someone with one and have him keep shooting back.. OTOH, the M-14a was a kick-ass weapon, if you could carry it and the ammo..lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

And not get "the THUMB"

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Friends that returned from 'Nam told me about that and using the gun as a very effective club since the nylon stock was harder to break than a wooden stock.

Even well cared for and in clear weather shooting range conditions (and Denny, you need to listen here, my friend), that forward assist knob can be, literally, a life saver.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Lost a couple of friends due to the first ones. It seemed that there was never a real effort to get them all out. It was a sort of replace when it failed. If you were able to. The new ones were no problem though. The Bushmaster I have now is a fun to shoot thing. Put about 250 rounds through it real quick one day with no incidents, wanted to be sure. Trying to find a range down here that is outside and 300+ yards long to go play a bit.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I got a Colt SP1. It ain't got no forward assist knob.... One of these days I'll have to get a modern version.

You still got my old addy?? Shoot me an e-mail if you do...

Denny

Reply to
Denny

No, to honest, with the way I was being regarded about my beliefs, I dropped many addresses and not just in this group.

It hurt, Denny, to be treated like that just for living according to my beliefs.

But, you're back in the book and I'll catch up with ya tomorrow, Ok?

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Denny,

Tried your addy in the post but it failed.

Email me back on mine as it works and I'll get your good one.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

They took our M-14's in 66 and gave us the first version of the plastic toy.. beta testing in the boonies, thank you, McNamara..

If you could get more that 2 or 3 rounds without a jam you were very lucky.. We had to carry cleaning rods to jam down the barrel to get the expended brass out of the chamber.. From what I heard, they re-worked the buffer and slowed down the rate of fire on the later ones and they worked ok until they tried then in Iran.. *g*

My kid says that they have another position on the selector switch now.. "burst".. I guess it fires 3 rounds every time you fire????

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

the real issues with the original ar15/m16 in the field were two fold. they were designed to have chrome lined chambers and a specific powder. between the acceptance of the weapon after initial trials and issue to the field the army bean counters determined they could save a lot of money by skipping the chrome lining on the chambers and putting the powder contract up for bids. thus the rifles hit the field with a dirtier burning powder than they were designed for and a chamber that was "sticky" due to the lack of chrome. this turned a reasonable weapon into a very fancy single shot. michael

Reply to
nunya

Yep, three round bursts because they discovered too many young people can't count 650 numbers a minute. ... But then, neither can I. Actually, it was found that the full auto ( Rock and Roll!) wastes ammo. DUH!

They've also made the barrel heavier to cut down on heat warpage due to high rates of fire and changed the twist to give the bullet more stability. It no longer turns sideways on contact with skin or tissue paper.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Ok, that rings a distant bell..

Something about the next generation having "chrome buffer group" or something like that?

"Colt Peacemaker, the original point and click interface"

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I remember being trained to fire 2 or 3 round bursts on the M-14A and M-60... That went all to hell when the shit started, though..

Stability is a GOOD thing.. damn tumbling 22 mag rounds... They used to call me up with the 60 when folks were behind bamboo.. 16's would deflect all over the place but that 7.63 round would penetrate just fine.. Of course, so would an AK round..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Of course it did, shooting on a range or even the infiltration course is a whole lot less scary that the sounds of lead bees zipping past your ears or nipping at your government issued battle tuxedo.

And even more scary is when you hear that sound while fishing your favorite stream or hunting rabbits and wearing blaze orange.

Bamboo is tuff stuff any way. All the silicones absorbed makes some able to be sharpened enough to cut rope.

I like firing the 60. The fun part was when the instructor at Fort Carson claimed you couldn't fire accurately from the hip ... then I took out five silhouettes at 100 meters from the "John Wayne" position.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran