Gauges 2001 Dodge Ram

Went to start my truck today and my gauges stopped working. Been working fine since day one. Truck runs perfect. The odometer says "No Bus". Up towards the map lights where the temperature reads, it states "CCd". Check engine, ABS, Fuel Light, and Air Bag light are on. Will not read any gauge. Will not read engine rpm's or speed. Any help appreciated.

Reply to
tiggy

Same thing hapened to my wife's 99 Ram van (with about 59,000 miles), except it also died and wouldn't restart (in the middle of a busy intersection). Brought it to the dealer. Turned out to be a bad computer, and was replaced under the emissions warranty (for free) for some reason. Otherwise, it was going to cost about $600....

Dave Young

snipped-for-privacy@gisco.net wrote:

Reply to
Dave Young

Well this just happened today. I hope it won't die. I can go out in the driveway and fire this truck up fine. I've only driven it for a couple miles since it happend to home. The truck has over 51,000 miles. I read that it's under the federal emission warranty. What I am curious about is what made this occur, and how do I figure out if the computer is bad. I don't want to go to the dealer and have them soak me for something silly I could have fixed. Different story if it's under warranty. I'd be pleased :)

Reply to
tiggy

Took the truck into the dealer today. The hooked it up to the computer with Chrysler. Apparently it was strange my truck still ran, even though there was no communication with the bus. They figured it to be a voltage spike to make this happen. Truck still runs good and all gauges work now. It's one of those "never seen this before" at the dealer. They disconnected each module and found no problem. Cured itself apparently. We'll see what happens now.

Reply to
tiggy

Very interesting. I hope it's a permanent "fix"....

Dave Young

snipped-for-privacy@gisco.net wrote:

Reply to
Dave Young

Haha! The no-bus error was never seen by your dealer before? Is he

*really* new to the business?

My 99 has popped up with this error about 5 times in the last year. A light tap to the panel below the steering wheel brings it back to life at this point. This is what happens when you build a flimsy truck with oodles of undersized wiring in the harness and the sleaziest quality connectors you could possibly find on the market.

Oh well... When it finally all goes to crap it'll get a bike speedometer, a voltmeter-based fuel gauge, a 4 barrel carburetor, vacuum advance distributer, and a ford duraspark setup to run it. I'll just be sure to drive down to Mexico to sell it when I'm done ;)

JS

Reply to
JS

So, the wiring is undersized and the connectors are sleazy? You "know" this how?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Is this how jmc got the crickets? I hear 'em now...

Reply to
BigIronRam

It was more like they were surprised to see the truck run. Any of the other trucks with this problem died. Some miracle how it fixed itself I suppose.

Reply to
tiggy