HELP!!!!! 2002 Dodge Durango / 1984 Chevy Chevette

Hey everyone. Two days before Christmas, I was on my way to work and my windshield wipers on my '02 Durango started working by themselves. Shortly after, the power locks and keyless entry quit working. Then the headlights decided to quit working, then the interior lights. I thought "GREAT! just great! Merry Christmas to me!" soooo after finally finding somewhere that was open and could do diagnostics on it, they said it could be several things but they have NO idea exactly what...sooo I was stuck again with no answer. Since that day, I've had no problems with it.....until this afternoon. My keyless entry doesn't work. The batteries in the factory fob are new. Neither of the fob's I have work for it. I even went so far as to disconnect the battery in hopes of it resetting something dealing with the keyless entry. Anyone have any ideas what's going on??

Also, my fiance' has an '84 Chevette (YES, there are still some of them around lol). Lately, it loses engine power while he's driving and when he stops, smoke bellows from the engine. When I checked it out after it had been parked and not driven for a couple days, there was what looked like really old transmission fluid on the ground under it. However, the engine's all gunky and dirty, so it's hard to really tell where anything's coming from if there's a leak. Any ideas for this??

Thanks!!

Reply to
Confuzzled in MD

Two nights ago, during a heavy downpour if that has any bearing, my headlights, interior lights, fog lights (or driving lights, the round ones factory installed in the front bumper), parking lights, the bed light and the power door locks all quit working. Turn signals and brake lights still work fine. Is there something that all of these connect to that could cause this? They all started working briefly again last night for about five minutes and now nothing. Please help! I don't know if the following information has any bearing, but my seat belt chime has never worked, nor has my steering wheel lock. Also, at least twice in the year I have had it the automatic shifter would freeze, and not shift out of park unless I moved the tilt mechanism a few times up and down then it would shift again. Thank you for any replies!

Reply to
bigroblee

I have had problems with tree rats (squirrels) eating at my underhood wiring and causing intermittant troubles similar to what you describe, particullary with the wipers and cruise control. You might want to check for evidence of nesting / damage.

I'd heard there was an '84 Chevette still running, so it's you! If I were you, I'd swap it for a pocket knife if you can find a sucker....

Reply to
BigIronRam

I've checked under the hood and all around the engine compartment for any signs and there seems to be nothing. I went to a dealership today to ask questions and they said it sounds more like the body module than anything else, but that with electrical problems that are hard to trace, it's like dumping money into a bottomless pit, which I can't afford since we're getting married and moving in July (lots of money between now and then that we even can't afford).

LOL @ the Chevette. We found out today that he has 2 horrible oil leaks, both of which require the engine to be taken out in order to repair them. That, and he has an exhaust leak somewhere, but they aren't sure if it's the gasket, the manifold, or what, unless they take everything apart and check it out. They're asking around $600 to fix the leaks and the exhaust. Does that sound like a fair price for the work they'll have to do?

Reply to
Confuzzled in MD

From your desription I agree, it's probably the module. 10 years ago they didn't run anything critical, now they do. I'm afraid you'll have to get it fixed.

They wouldn't swap for a shiny new pocket knife? Oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained. I don't know why the engine has to be pulled to do it but if it does I'd get all the gaskets and seals done while it was out. That sounds like a reasonable price for the stated work to me. There are folks in this group who are still in the repair biz who would know better than me what a good price is.

I wish you the best on your marriage. Good luck to you.

Reply to
BigIronRam