Just got a Dodge truck with a V-8 Cummins diesel

Yep, the truck has a 9.2L (555 CI) Cummins V-8 diesel engine hooked up to a 4 speed Allison automatic tranny (soon to be replaced with a 5 speed auto) and that is how it came from the factory. It's a 1975 Dodge XCNT800 tanker truck with a 58,000 pound GVWR. Below are a few links to some pics of it. The first shot shows the truck as it was when the seller I got it from first acquired it. Since then he has removed the tank and the truck now looks like what is seen in the second and third pictures.

It has been used as a stationary refueling point since the county got it from the military back in 1993. The engine was never run (they used an electric pump setup to transfer fuel out of the tank in to trucks) since they got it so the truck only has 9,000 miles on it.

Since I can't have a truck that long in the base housing unit I am in I most likely will end up cutting about 12 to 14 feet of frame off the back and putting a single rear axle under it. Don't know yet whether I will put a flatbed on it or a fifth wheel plate and make a tractor out of it. After that I might look in to replacing the Cummins 555 with a turbo'd Cat 3208 for even more power. The Cat 3208 is what replaced the Cat 1150/1160 engine that Dodge used from 1973 to 1975.

Ruppster

Reply to
Ruppster

The Cat 3208 will suck compared to the Cummins.

Reply to
Max Dodge

The problem is parts availability. The triple nickel from Cummins is getting harder to get parts for and they are not all that strong internally in order to handle a good turbo setup (AFAIK most of the turbo'd 555 were used in marine application and most owners complained about lack of reliability from them). The 3208 was used in trucks for a longer period of time and has a better track record when a turbo was involved. Easier to find in truck yards too. If all else fails I could always go with a Detroit 318.

Ruppster

Reply to
Ruppster