Leak?

I was under my truck, looking for (but not finding) any cracked hoses that might explain my engine's P0455 code, per a post on this ng.

(2001 Dakota)

While under there, I noticed quite a lot of grease or oil, possibly leakage, around an area (I'm not a mechanic, so please bear with me) that appears to be nearly underneath my stick shift. It's coating a few bolts, and covers about a square foot. Beyond that, the truck's underside is dry, if rusty (darn UK!).

Is there access to any transmission fluids there? I did have my truck in for an oil change and "winter safety check" at the base hobby shop last week, and mentioned that sometimes my shifting felt "dry", but he didn't mention anything when I picked the truck up.

Is this something I should have a mechanic check? If so, what could be wrong?

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, jmc exclaimed (10-Feb-06 3:58 PM):

Is my question so stupid nobody's bothering answering? Apologies if it is, I *am* trying to learn more about these things...

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Sometimes people just don't have an answer and other times, people are afraid to make suggestions and risk getting attacked by a select few. What does the fluid look like?

Reply to
TBone

No, your original post didn't show up. As Tbone said what does it look like, the color of the oil might help. What does the transmission use for oil? Are there signs of it ahead of the trans? Is it oil that was caught on a crossmember during the oil change and is being blown back as you are driving?

Roy

Reply to
Roy

It wouldn't surprise me if the mechanic responded to your mentioning of the shifting feeling 'dry' and sprayed some lubricant on what he thought was unlubed linkage.

FMB

Reply to
FMB

Suddenly, without warning, Roy exclaimed (11-Feb-06 6:10 PM):

Roy, Thanks for responding. I've been suspecting that my posts sometimes aren't disseminated, though I always see them. A problem with individual.net perhaps?

Anyway, I can't swear to it because there's muck there too, but my best description would be a dark greyish grease where it's thicker, and just sort of oily looking across the rest of the area.

I don't think it's blowback, because it's actually on the side of the (linkage?) towards the back of the truck.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

As somebody suggested they may have lubed your shift linkage. Or the equalizer bar that your clutch linkage is connected to.

Roy

Reply to
Roy