lifters

I have a 1987 D-150/with a 318. My problem has to do with a pushrod that has slipped off of the lifter. Would I be wasting time trying to just putting the rod back on?

Reply to
SHADETREEDAVE

Pushrods don't just "slip" off the lifter.

It sits in a cup on the lifter and in the rocker arm. Valve spring pressure holds them all together....until . . . .

So, what happened just before it "slipped"? A downshift at too high of a ground speed? a "wanna see how high it will rev" situation? Is the valvespring broken? Valve swallowed?

In the first two situations, the pushrod is probably bent and won't stay in place (replace it), in the second two, repairs are needed before you put it back in.

The final scenario is one where you were working on the engine and it slipped off while tightening the rocker shaft . . .loosen it up and slip it back in and retorque.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Like Budd said, the first step would be determining why it jumped off. Remove the pushrod from the engine and inspect it for damage (make sure it is not broken or bent). Then inspect the rocker arm and make sure it is not cracked or damaged. You might also want to make sure that the valve is moving properly and is not sticking. If everything seems to be ok, loosen up the assembly, put it back in, tighten it up and see what happens (run it for a while without the cover(not drive it)).

Reply to
TBone