Made it back!!!

i agree, the no code tech license, although a good tool to get people into the hobbie, hasnt done much to push people to learn a whole lot about what they are doing. some will but those people would have made it anyways. i havent upgraded personally out of a pure dislike, and no real desire to learn the code. further i dont like the Gordon West style of books that seem to be the only thing you can find for the theory tests anymore.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

My last test was in front of an FCC examiner. December 1983. Got my Advanced. Unless I get grandfathered I'll PROBABLY never hold an extra. CW is fun if you like it. Keeping it as a requirement may help kill the hobby. Dropping it won't necessarily save it. I have punched the roof of every Dodge truck I have owned. Including the 2002 QC FWD I got rid of. Because the gas mileage bit the big one!

73, Ed KA9EES
Reply to
Edward L. Dowdy

You were 5 Chris. :)

Reply to
Edward L. Dowdy

My last test in front of a beady-eyed, grey-suited FCC examiner was in

1966 at the US Post Office in Kansas City, MO for my 1st class commercial (aka broadcast engineer's license). Back in the day you didn't set foot inside a radio or tv control room or transmitter shack without one. I got my HAM ticket (General) in 1963 when I was a junior in high school. Upgraded to Advanced in '78 with a volunteer examiner.

I hated to see the code "requirement" removed as I always felt it was a "right of passage" and also felt anyone who wanted the license bad enough could learn 13 wpm if they wanted to. Of course that was also the era when the children's band (CB) craze exploded and the scofflaws were so completely out of control that rather than try to police them the FCC threw in the towel and eliminated any requirement for a CB license. I think Amateur Radio Operators (aka Hams) were scared the CB'ers would desecrate their hallowed ground too if the code requirement was dropped.

Alas nobody as much as gives a damn about CB or Ham radio nowadays and the ham radio hobby, dying in the 70s is all but dead today. Even my once precious FCC Commercial License, once the official credential of anyone qualified and authorized to work on transmitters has been reduced to little more than wallpaper today.

Alas, we digress..

Reply to
RamMan

I hate to see the Morse requirement dropped. But it will be eventually. A friend of mine has been a broadcast engineer for years. I remember the coveted "First Phone" license. Now I think it's called a "General Telephone". I'm still very active with Ham Radio. Hope you kept yer ticket. Maybe sked sometime.

73, Ed KA9EES
Reply to
Edward L. Dowdy