more mod questions

the '01.5 project is moving along pretty good (pics coming soon!). i have the wheels/tires on, the juice with attitude, and tonight i put on the banks monster exhaust and the exhaust brake (plummed, controls not yet installed...just put it on since i was doing the exhaust).

i can actually feel the power difference the exhaust gives in the seat of my pants. the juice with attitude increased the power certainly, but the low/mid range power with the new exhaust brings a smile to my face.

im surprised/mildly disappointed in how quiet the exhaust is. im not running a cat and the banks muffler is straight through (if i had girl arms i could literally reach all the way through it) yet it really isnt much louder than the stock exhaust. when i straight piped my '05 it was so loud that it was downright offensive, but the '01.5 is actually quite tame (volume wise). i dont want the truck to be offensive like the '05 was....the '05 would give you a literal headache when towing my camper....but i would like a little more growl. i dont see how the muffler can be so effective when its literally straight through, but it is. any suggestions/recommendations?

my EGT (measured pre-turbo since edge recommends that) typically ranged from upper 700s to upper 900s on the stock exhaust and now it ranges from the lower 700s to the upper 800s. i expected more of a decrease. are these temps normal?

on setting #5 when i accelerated relatively hard (still havent gone WOT for fear of killing my tranny...gotta get a DTT) my fuel pressure dropped to 4 psi which edge says is the bare minimum. im not comfortable running so close to the minimum, especially since ;i havent even gone WOT yet. the lift pump is new (installed two months or so ago) but im losing confidence. who has the best price on a FASS?

...i can see that this is going to get expensive.

Nathan In Montana

Nathan W. Collier

I'd yank the muffler off, and see how you like the sound then. Your turbo is still doing quite a bit to quiet the exhaust. Might want to get a bigger one of those :)

Yep... you're fine there. You could have a 12" exhaust - your restriction is still the little stock turbo. But, you don't have to start worrying until you see 1250°.

Haven't priced them out in a while - but I think it's one of those products that's pretty much the same price no matter where you look. If you get one, get the full system - not just the pump by itself - the one with the external filter and water separator. I love having a fuel filter that will filter down to 3 microns, and can go 30,000+ without changing. Plus, it's much moe convenient using the water separator on the FASS than the stock one.

Figured that out already, did'ja? :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

i started to order one from banks, but on this page

it states: "Please note: The Quick-Turbo will not fit 2001-2002 models with the HY35 turbo (automatic transmission, 235-hp rated engine). The quick turbo will fit the 2001-2002 models with the HX35 turbo (manual transmission, 245-hp rated engine)."

ok, WTF is a "HY35"? i have the 47RE. is this another designation for my tranny, and if so what turbo CAN i use since i do have an automatic?

this is PRE turbo, right?

where did you get yours?

thanks tom,

Nathan In Montana

Nathan W. Collier

No, HX35 and HY35 are Holset model numbers for different turbos. I didn't know there was a difference based on what transmission was in the truck. Check out BD Power -

Absolutely. 1250 post-turbo means your engine is already goo.

I honestly can't remember. Disregard what I said above... looks like EBay has the best prices... $526.30 w/ free shipping.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

If you want more noise, pull the silencer ring out of the turbo.

No gain in power but it sounds a bit betterimo.

Reply to
Roy

hmm...so i can use the banks if i get different turbo internals?

Nathan In Montana

Nathan W. Collier

this a big deal to do?

thanks, Nathan In Montana

Nathan W. Collier

Thinking back a few years, no, it's a piece of cake. It's right there when you take the intake hose of the turbo. IIrc a small screwdriver under one end of the snap ring and work your way around. I, for some reason don't think I used lock ring pliers. Probably 'cause it there were no holes at the ends of the ring. Anyway after the ring is out there is a dish type baffle with a hole in it that you remove. You can not miss it.

Once removed, your turbo will have a nice whistle to it.

Roy

A popular and low buck swap for the auto guys has been getting used HX turbos from the standard trans guys who are doing upgrades from the HX. I doubt I remember correctly, but I think the HY was a 9 housing and the HX was a 10 or 12?

I also don't know if the wastegate is an issue with the swap.

I don't know why Banks limits their application to manual transmission trucks. You might want to give them a call.

Reply to
BigIronRam

thanks. does this do anything at all to improve flow?

Nathan In Montana

Nathan W. Collier

Not that I'm aware of.

Reply to