My truck

I had a Ford 1990 F-150 4x4, had it for 10 years. A year and a half ago I bought a used 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 318, supercab.

It's a great looking truck. No problems in that area.

But having driven it for 18 months I just don't feel as satisfied as I did in my old Ford. While driving, the steering wheel just seems to be knocking, as if someone is tapping it down near the engine. Feels unsafe.

My trust in the transmission is going down. When I first got it, it shifted, what seemed like, every 10 seconds. I got used to that.

Now while I can't really come up with the best description of what the transmission is doing now, it just seems to be confused as to what it should do, and that results in it having no power when I first take off. The power seems to be at 50%, it seems to skip, and miss, and hesitate and just not be working correctly.

I told you I couldn't describe it...

And after all that, it is a much more bumpy ride. Every little dip or bump in the road sends me flying around. A friend has a similar truck and he said the same thing, very bumpy, almost too stiff.

All these little things add together to make me feel uneasy about the overall reliability and longevity of this truck.

Not too mention the gas mileage.

Gee, I guess I need to ask myself, "Why the hell did you buy it??" I just didn't notice most of these things on my test drive.

I think I want my old truck back.

Reply to
Steve K

How many miles are on the Dodge? What does the service history look like? Anything that is not properly maintained is going to fall apart. About two years ago I changed the cap and rotor in my '99 Dak with the 318. WOW! what an ugly mess! its amazing I was getting any spark at all though there. I think this summer I will get some new plug wires. If the trans feels odd, then take it in to a trans shop and have them open it up, change the fluid, clean out the gunk, and look around for anything that looks bad. Its a RAM 4x4, so it had a live front Axle, Does anyone know if these are sealed pivots, or if they need periodic greasing?? How long do the shocks usually last?

Reply to
Trey