Need to Pick Some Brains - '87 Dodge Dakota Cruise Control

Hi - I figure I have no sense - I've had late eighties s-10 Blazers for years, bunches of 'em. Had them pretty well figured out - so I had to get a couple of old Dakotas to keep from being bored - or something.

Anyway, I'm back in virgin territory again. My Dakota has factory cruise, nothing obvious disconnected/corroded. Once in a while I'll get cruise, which looses speed slowly, so my first guess is vacuum. Before I start tearing it apart I wanted to check if anyone knew anything about these critters. I've had a few vehicles in the past that the cruise control was snitty on - press too fast or release too fast/slow, or whatever, and it wouldn't work. Don't know if it's something like that, have no owner's manual (for the last Blazer it specifically said "release slowly"). Hoping for the voice of experience, thanks.

Cricket

Reply to
<ccole

I don't have much experience, but I just replace my vacuum hoses on my '97 because it wasn't workin' at all. You might just have a bad connection in the hoses. I would suggest, for what it's worth, to check all your connections and recheck and tighten them all down just to make sure. If all else fails take it to your mechanic.

Reply to
SeaCowboy

LOL! Don't need it bad enough to pay for it done. More one of those things that if I don't know how it drives me nuts. This is what comes from having Blazers too long - most little oddities on those I'd know right off what its deal was - this thing is just enough different to make me crazy.

Had to re-tighten the steering wheel (couple of star bolts way down in deep) yesterday - managed to flip a stupid little part out (it stuck to the grease) and spend considerable time swearing at it until we figured out (I called in my mate - he doesn't get to fix it 'cause he tends to use a hammer, but sometimes he's got an eye for these things). Steering column guts are way down my list of favorite things to work on, so I guess I've been baptised on this one.

Cricket

Reply to
<ccole